interservice transfer

phrog_driver

As a Marine helo bubba with no inclination to spend another 7 months onboard a big gray gator freighter, I was wondering if any Coasties or USAF helo bubbas have any insights into the transfer process in their services. ANY insights are appreciated, but I do have a couple of specific questions.

USCG--You have to start again as a LTJG (O2). Do you at least get O2E pay? How do your medical, commissary, PX privileges work, since your bases are so much smaller? How does aricraft/location selection work for transferees?

USAF--Again, how much choice do you have in your platform/location? Are helo bubbas complete red-headed stepchildren in the USAF, and how many transfers do you take a year? I've been to the transfer website, but it's pretty vague, and actually has words to the effect of,"Don't call us unless you've already put in your application."

General--Do you get paid to PCS from your old duty station to your first duty station with your new service?

I knew a Chair force helo driver in Japan...flew HH's. Definately the odd man out in that service.

I know the Army's ALWAYS taking warrants for helo training. In fact, I know two buds that were Naval Aircrewmans in S-3's and were picked up. Only interservice transfers I've seen firsthand. 'Course....then you have to be in the army!!!

Good luck with that...

Chunk

[ QUOTE ]
USAF--Again, how much choice do you have in your platform/location? Are helo bubbas complete red-headed stepchildren in the USAF, and how many transfers do you take a year?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was stationed once with an AF helo guy. He had visions of being one of the Pave Low special ops guys, but instead was stationed out of Minot and flew missile crews out to the silos when the snow was too thick for them to drive out there. No surprise he left the cockpit to go be an engineer...

I knew a couple of crewman tht switched over to the Army to fly as WO's in the Army they love it. You should contact CMartin, he was an Army helo driver. He can get you a point of contact for the Army. You'll have to do some surfing to get a contact for the AF and Coasties. Good luck!

I doubt your pay would be O2E. but I may be wrong, Sorry I have no contacts for you now that I have an R at the end of my title...

I'm concerned enough with taking the hit to O-2, much less to WO. Staying on the commissioned side, officers in the Army don't fly that much, and the only Army unit I'd want to fly with would be TF160, anyway. No offense to the USA, but the Marine Corps is still a better deal than them. USAF SpecOps/pararescue or USCG do appeal, though.

Sorry, I wasn't knocking the warrants. If I could get paid to just fly, and not be too concerned with non-flying billets, I'd be much happier. That's part of the reason I'm considering US Customs Air Branch as well. It's just that, as a captain with 8 yrs TOS, persuading the wife, and newborn baby, to take a paycut to LTJG (USCG)is hard enough, much less to WO. I don't think the Army would make me a CW5 right off the bat. Besides, it's the Army, for God's sake! That's something the Marine in me just couldn't bear!

[ QUOTE ]
USAF--Again, how much choice do you have in your platform/location? Are helo bubbas complete red-headed stepchildren in the USAF, and how many transfers do you take a year?

[/ QUOTE ]

phrog,
I'm an ex-Helo Flight Engineer in the USAF, and I'm buds with one ex-Army and one ex-Marine helo pilot. Now I'm a KC-10 FE, and fly with an ex-Navy Huey pilot.

I'll be upfront and say that I don't have all the answers that these guys can offer, but I can say that most pilots remain at a duty station between 36-48 months. The ex-Marine maintained his rank, Captain, got his first choice (1st Heli at KADW), and is now instructing on the T-6 (last I heard).

And yes...whether you're in Spec Ops, CSAR, Missle Transport or even Andrews, you will be the red-headed stepchild of the AF. That's why I made the switch to fixed-wing.
PM me for more info.

[ QUOTE ]
[. Now I'm a KC-10 FE, and fly with an ex-Navy Huey pilot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gucci is cool!

MD

Back