International flight planning?

Keola

Im just got my ADX license a few months ago (no job yet) and im thinking about attending a 2 day IFP class in the mainland (im in hawaii). I've been told its not really needed to be hired and some people have told me to take the class anyways?

I dont mind taking the class just to learn more, but i need to fly to the mainland to do it. After adding up airfare/IFP class/car/hotel im looking at spending close to $1,500-$2,000.. Do you guys think its still worth it to take the IFP class?

It's smart to wait to take the class, but it really isn't necessary. Whatever airline that hires you will have their own way of doing international flight planning, which you will be trained on by them. I mean, if you have the extra money and want to go to the mainland anyhow, it might be worth it - but I wouldn't spend all that money JUST to take the class.

Im just got my ADX license a few months ago (no job yet) and im thinking about attending a 2 day IFP class in the mainland (im in hawaii). I've been told its not really needed to be hired and some people have told me to take the class anyways?

I dont mind taking the class just to learn more, but i need to fly to the mainland to do it. After adding up airfare/IFP class/car/hotel im looking at spending close to $1,500-$2,000.. Do you guys think its still worth it to take the IFP class?

I took the extra classes at Sheffield, AIFP, EWINS and ETOPS.....I am glad I did but it only gives you a basic understanding of how things work. Your company will teach you, if they run these types of routes.

I would suggest waiting since your companies OPS SPECS will have this information. I can tell you from what I learned there is a lot to learn about going to Europe since a lot of the countries in the EU close along with the airspace.

I took the extra classes at Sheffield, AIFP, EWINS and ETOPS.....I am glad I did but it only gives you a basic understanding of how things work. Your company will teach you, if they run these types of routes.

I would suggest waiting since your companies OPS SPECS will have this information. I can tell you from what I learned there is a lot to learn about going to Europe since a lot of the countries in the EU close along with the airspace.

I was told by my company that in order to be hired with no experince. I must attend these classes.. So that basically leaves me no choice now but to sign up.. Looking foward to florida, i never been that far east before.. Any sheffield students have suggestions on housing/places to eat/ places to visit?

I was told by my company that in order to be hired with no experince. I must attend these classes.. So that basically leaves me no choice now but to sign up.. Looking foward to florida, i never been that far east before.. Any sheffield students have suggestions on housing/places to eat/ places to visit?

Student housing, though a bit on the pricy side, is very nice. Relatively close to the school, but the real benefit are the study groups that go on. If you have questions, you have 4 other students in the house to ask.

There are several places to eat in the vicinity (easy walking distance) of the school.

Places to visit....don't worry about this....you won't have time.

Student housing, though a bit on the pricy side, is very nice. Relatively close to the school, but the real benefit are the study groups that go on. If you have questions, you have 4 other students in the house to ask.

There are several places to eat in the vicinity (easy walking distance) of the school.

Places to visit....don't worry about this....you won't have time.

I was thinking of staying a day or two after the week long class, thats why i asked about places to visit. If theres not much to see/do, than ill just fly out the day after class ended.

FLL is no Hawaii. But there's things to do.

I would stay a couple of days. If you had a car, a drive to Key West is very cool.

The classes are definitely worthwhile...but as I didn't work for an airline that had significant international operations for several years after I graduated from Sheffield, if I had it to do over again, I would come back and take them later. All of us who took the classes immediately following the regular dispatch class were so burned out from our final/practical exams that we didn't get as much out of them as if we had taken them when we were not just done with class, in my opinion. Of course, the nice thing about Sheffield is that, once you pay for the class, you can always come back and re-attend it at a later date for no charge.

I attended Sheffield and also took the classes. They are more laid back than the 5 weeks class.

Since you are only taking the workshops, get a car and stay in a hotel.. There are a few that are close by the school. I know there is a mall close by with a food court, a Boston Market, Chilli and a few other good places to eat.

Back