Interesting

pilot602

If specified, this will replace the title that
IAD03WA020

On November 17, 2002, at 1156 universal coordinated time, a British Aircraft Corporation, Ltd. Concorde, G-BOAE, operating as British Airways flight BA0001, lost a section of rudder over the northern Atlantic Ocean. The 10 crew members and 96 passengers were not injured, and there was no additional damage to the airplane. The flight was operating on an instrument flight rules flight plan between London Heathrow Airport (EGLL), London, United Kingdom, and John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), Jamaica, New York.

According to an inspector from the United Kingdom Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB), the flight departed Heathrow about 1110. The airplane was climbing through 45,500 feet, at 50 degrees, 78 minutes north latitude, 15 degrees, 38 minutes west longitude, heading 271 degrees magnetic, and accelerating through Mach 1.817 with auto throttle and auto pilot engaged, when the crew heard what they thought was an engine-related "pop surge." The crew activated the flight recorder event marker, and the flight continued to New York.

The remainder of the flight was uneventful, except for a continuous light vibration while decelerating from Mach 1.4 to Mach 0.89. After landing, a post-flight examination revealed that a section of the lower rudder was missing.

The incident took place over international waters. Per International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Annex 13, paragraph 5.3, the state of registry assumed responsibility for the investigation. For further information, contact:
----------------------------------------

Didn't know that the Concorde reached close to Mach 2 - unless I'm reading that wrong.

I'm sorry but these planes are getting too old. As much as I';d love to see them continue to fly, we can't afford another accident happening right now. I say we discontinue them from commercial service. Besides its not like my ASSSSS is ever gonna afford to be on one of those puppies.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Dude parts have been falling of concordes rudder since day one. It is pretty much standard stuff, like a door opening in a Cessna.

Back