Interesting take on the loss of rural air service

The hotel we stayed at, VERY NEAR THE BELGIAN BAR (because Corporate Security says it's a no-no to publicly divulge our hotels) has a rescue dog program where they'll have a couple puppies or some rescue dogs which you can "check out" to go walk or hang out with during your stay. And if you like the dog, they can coordinate with the rescue to adopt the dog out.

It's about the coolest thing since sliced bread.
Get a dog from an animal shelter and you’re a hero, get a woman from a women’s shelter …

Given the precipitous drop in US fatalities, illustrated by a very simple chart that, coincidently or not, completely coincides with the implementation of the ATP rule, no legislator will risk causing a blip on that chart that is attributable to them.

So, I think Aerosmith said it best….

“Dream on…”
Correlation isnt causation.

Get a dog from an animal shelter and you’re a hero, get a woman from a women’s shelter …
This mindset is why I am looking into DJing at strip clubs. If you crave hot broken women who will ruin your life, might as well go straight to the source.

In the normal world, true.

But in politics, lack of pirates does indeed cause global warming.
Well then I guess I be something of an environmentalist meself. Ahoy there.

Last edited:
This mindset is why I am looking into DJing at strip clubs. If you crave hot broken women who will ruin your life, might as well go straight to the source

B88037C6-DA93-4FA7-BDD1-D2B7AABEAFB1.jpeg

Anyone who’s ever flown EAS will tell you that little towns don’t recognize that they’re, well, little. … The airport manager at one garden spot we flew into came into the station every day to tell us how much we sucked, and how much better things were when BigAirlineCo used to fly 727s into East Woebegone.
Man, preach. I was a floater for a 135 EAS carrier. Without fail, every one of the twenty-odd subsidized towns we covered complained about how they didn’t receive the widebody thrice daily service they clearly merited. The majority couldn’t even fill half of our seats, and none broke 80%. Tons of empty flights.

A few were taken over by Skywest, leading to some smug remarks from the airport managers on our way out. I don’t think it even lasted a year before OO pulled back out.

Given the precipitous drop in US fatalities, illustrated by a very simple chart that, coincidently or not, completely coincides with the implementation of the ATP rule, no legislator will risk causing a blip on that chart that is attributable to them.

So, I think Aerosmith said it best….

“Dream on…”

Hope and pray you're right.

So as someone who lives this each and every day, I applaud how accurate your assessment is here.

Yes, Bumfuk, Missouri used to have a 727 that stopped there on its way between DFW and ORD - and unfortunately the youngest member of their airport governing Board was on the Board then too. They settled for regional jets, though like you say, they b* and moaned about that. Now regionals can't serve their market and they look to us (air service consultants) to replace that service - but with jets, none of that turboprop nonsense.

Yes, all of these markets think they can sustain mainline narrowbody service 3x day.

"Did you tell them about all of the breweries we've opened recently?" is a question I legitimately get from communities when recapping calls I've had with airline network planners.

"You get us the flight and we'll find you the passengers." Another statement small community leaders like to put out there during our airline meetings - and one that makes me sink into my chair.

It's a bad time for small markets for sure. I work with EAS markets, and regional carriers are struggling to serve even those - the ones with a federal revenue guarantee tied to them!

I could say more, but I literally have to go back to writing one of the grant applications mentioned in the article.
How's Chat GPT on writing your grants for you?

This mindset is why I am looking into DJing at strip clubs. If you crave hot broken women who will ruin your life, might as well go straight to the source.

Well then I guess I be something of an environmentalist meself. Ahoy there.

AHOY!

Anyone who’s ever flown EAS will tell you that little towns don’t recognize that they’re, well, little. And you need to be not little to fill airplanes to make money. Money that needs to be made since everyone thought deregulation was such a super idea.

And they’re never satisfied. The airport manager at one garden spot we flew into came into the station every day to tell us how much we sucked, and how much better things were when BigAirlineCo used to fly 727s into East Woebegone.

Credit where due, the only EAS flying I've done was to PQI, and it didn't seem like too many people there were mad about it not being a 727 or similar. One member of the Presque Isle City Council apparently even let crews borrow his car on overnights, though I never used it myself. There were some complaints about how the EAS route didn't go to BOS as previous Essential Air Service to The County had, but that was understandable since apparently a lot of people with unusual medical conditions used it to see doctors in Boston.

On the other hand, delays on that EAS route did inspire my favorite mug:

Attachments

• 20230427_161917.jpg
    20230427_161917.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 32
Credit where due, the only EAS flying I've done was to PQI, and it didn't seem like too many people there were mad about it not being a 727 or similar. One member of the Presque Isle City Council apparently even let crews borrow his car on overnights, though I never used it myself. There were some complaints about how the EAS route didn't go to BOS as previous Essential Air Service to The County had, but that was understandable since apparently a lot of people with unusual medical conditions used it to see doctors in Boston.

On the other hand, delays on that EAS route did inspire my favorite mug:

:D

Back