Interesting jumpseat experience

I don't know any of the background or dynamics of this situation, just passing on info which I recieved in a conversation with someone supposedly "in-the-know..."

Kevin

No I know Kevin, no worries.

Just found that little tid-bit from a Skywest Airlines individual to be quite entertaining.

Maybe they just got violated on the previous leg, maybe they were just losers... Who knows. Either way Im just happy I don't have to commute!! (for now)

:D

Wow.

Staplegun has more time riding in jumpseats than probably everyone else who responded in this thread has flight time combined.

I am sure he had been in other jumpseats before when the crew wasn't getting along, etc. He felt to write about this experience because it was that out there. Maybe everyone else should listen to what he is saying so you don't become that toolbag of a captain or first officer that is unprofessional to a jumpseater.

Wow.

Staplegun has more time riding in jumpseats than probably everyone else who responded in this thread has flight time combined.

I am sure he had been in other jumpseats before when the crew wasn't getting along, etc. He felt to write about this experience because it was that out there. Maybe everyone else should listen to what he is saying so you don't become that toolbag of a captain or first officer that is unprofessional to a jumpseater.

I was simply relating my own "other than normal" experiences (albeit few) in the many times I've jumpseated. IMO, the professionalism goes both ways, but one can only really control their contribution to that; agree with you there.

Apart from that, there are great takeaways from these kinds of stories...good learning to be had both when taking the ride, or providing it.

Not calling you out MikeD. I know about your experience in aviation. Some of the other people on here though don't know when a post that might be able to teach them something hits them square in the face.

I was simply relating my own "other than normal" experiences (albeit few) in the many times I've jumpseated. IMO, the professionalism goes both ways, but one can only really control their contribution to that; agree with you there.

Apart from that, there are great takeaways from these kinds of stories...good learning to be had both when taking the ride, or providing it.

Absolutely, and that's why I posted my experience.

To all:

If you read (or re-read) my original post you will notice that, other than the comment about the captains personal hygiene - which was an observation (although perhaps a veiled crticism) - I did not make any disparaging or personal remarks about the crew.

I tried very hard to report what actually happened...

It's always very interesting to me to see how everyone responds to stories like this - invariably motives and/or emotions are assigned which did not exist.

Again, for the record:

I take jumpseating very seriously because I am (by choice) a commuter. I am always, regardless of my mood, courteous and friendly. I am scrupulous about asking the Captain's permission and following the "rules" of jump-seating etiquette.

I'm a pretty self-aware person; having said that I suppose that I could rub someone the wrong way inadvertantly, but I don't believe that was the case here...

Whatever. As many have pointed out, I was glad for the ride. I've just never had it go that way before, so maybe I've been lucky all these years...

Kevin

Goodness! How can anyone NOT like Kevin. :D It's like I posted in the "Professionalism" thread. Professionalism = Class. I've never had the pleasure of meeting Kevin in person, but am pretty certain he is a class act all the way! :)
My .02? The CA and FO don't get along and, unfortunately, that trickled down to you. :rolleyes:

So, I'm going to work on Friday.

Southern-Jets has rotated some CRJ's into the ORD-ATL mix lately - I'm not happy about it since it makes commuting that much harder for me, and everyone knows it's all about me! :rolleyes:

It's really killing the former ORD based flight attendants because now there is no jumpseat for them to get on...

I'm never sure which airline it's going to be, but I end up standing by for the jumpseat on a Skywest flight.

(As an interesting aside I met SkyWest's Pilot Director- Central Region. He walked up in civvies after I had checked in for the jumpseat and I saw his crew ID and queried him if he was after the J/S. He said no, he had a confirmed seat in the back. So I introduced myself and we had a chat. He was very interested in how his crews had been treating me as a commuter as he said that was a company priority to make commuting a good experience... One of the things he said which jumped out at me was that SkyWest was fat by about 500 pilots, but that there were no current plans to furlough...)

Of course every seat was taken in the back so I wait until boarding is almost through and walk down to introduce myself to the crew and ask permission to jumpseat. The Captain asked for all of my stuff - license & medical - and perused them quite closely. I tell him I will be up front since every seat is taken. "OK," he says. No introduction of who he is or what his name is or anything...

The flight attendants were great and helped me stow my carry-on etc. and chatted with me while the last few pax got on. Then I hit the head and went up to the cockpit.

I ask the pilots, "Can I get you anything while I'm standing here?"

Captain says, "No. Are you familiar with the aircraft?"

I say, "Yes," and intoduce myself to the first officer and shake his hand and proceed to pull out the jumpseat and sit down.

For the next 2 & 1/2 hours neither one of them so much as looks at me or says a word to me...

Enroute, for 2+ hours, the captain & f/o exchange exactly 4 sentences of non-operational talk.

In ATL, when we're at the gate and blocked in I stand up, stow the jumpseat and ask permission to open the cockpit door. I say, "Thank you very much for the ride, nice job," and stand in the galley until I can retrieve my stuff.

Some observations:

In my 22 years of airline flying, I must have been on hundreds of jump seats, both on-line and off-line. I don't crave attention and am always as courteous and respectful as I can be since I view commuting and the J/S as a privilege...

I have never, in all that time, been treated as though I did not exist before.

The captain needed a primer in personal hygiene...

Comments?

Kevin

Its funny I had the exact same experience on Delta mainline, 737 from RDU to ATL...I figured later, and didnt take it personally, b/c it was clear the CA just was tired of the FO and couldnt stand him anymore. A nice greeting, then nothing. At first i was like Damn these guys are very good at sterile cockpit, .....then 180, then up to cruise, more staring out the window....A sterile cockpit flight. LIterally not one word other then cockpit items to me or the other guy from cockpit closed to cockpit opened....But really, thanks for the ride.

If you read (or re-read) my original post you will notice that, other than the comment about the captains personal hygiene - which was an observation (although perhaps a veiled crticism) - I did not make any disparaging or personal remarks about the crew.

What was wrong with him hygienically? I might need some pointers.

Question for Kevin: If you noticed something the crew missed, would you have felt comfortable bringing it to their attention? Not necessarily something life-threatening, either.

Its funny I had the exact same experience on Delta mainline, 737 from RDU to ATL...I figured later, and didnt take it personally, b/c it was clear the CA just was tired of the FO and couldnt stand him anymore. A nice greeting, then nothing. At first i was like Damn these guys are very good at sterile cockpit, .....then 180, then up to cruise, more staring out the window....A sterile cockpit flight. LIterally not one word other then cockpit items to me or the other guy from cockpit closed to cockpit opened....But really, thanks for the ride.

You get all kinds sometimes you catch crews on bad legs, you can't be expected to be jolly for 5 legs in a row on your 4th day on the road. Try SWA for JS, they're usually consistent with nice guys. One time there was this CA and it was obvious that he had stoped caring about his job in 1985. This guy was so laid back, talking in sterile, couldn't program the AP, cursed, the FO was teaching him features of the FMS. I asked him what he flew before SW and he started to procede to talk about his AF days. The poor FO said nothing the whole way working the FMS and looking out the window. But yea interesting at SW, the regional guys although nice, tend to be a little less laid back.

If you noticed something the crew missed, would you have felt comfortable bringing it to their attention? Not necessarily something life-threatening, either.

I certainly hope so. Personally, I had an AWA jumpseater save me from an altitude bust.

If you're in the cockpit jumpseat you are an ADDITIONAL CREW MEMBER. I, for one, expect you to act like one. That means looking outside and backstopping me and the F/O. If you see something that doesn't look right, SAY SOMETHING!

I certainly hope so. Personally, I had an AWA jumpseater save me from an altitude bust.

If you're in the cockpit jumpseat you are an ADDITIONAL CREW MEMBER. I, for one, expect you to act like one. That means looking outside and backstopping me and the F/O. If you see something that doesn't look right, SAY SOMETHING!

Whaaaa? Are you trying to tell us you're NOT perfect? :panic: Fellow JC'ers, it's official, the apocalypse is upon us. :D

Don't feel bad, I had a Southernjets captain totally ignore me all the way from SFO to ATL, while jabberjawing with the captain. When I even made a point of introducing myself to him, he looked at me like I was a piece of 8 day old Linburger been sitting in the sun. When I mentioned it to the boss later, he said he never even picked up on it.

So in retribution, I added his name to the flip down chart holder as being a johnson!:bandit:

What was wrong with him hygienically? I might need some pointers.

Not enough/no deodorant mixed with a subtle hint of not having showered that morning...

Not overwhelming, but notiveable after being locked in the cockpit for awhile...

Kevin

Back