Interested in ATC...

bronco21016

I know H.T.M.L. (How To Meet Ladies)
I'm just about to graduate from a rather large collegiate aviation program with a butt load of debt and no job prospects. I've always been interested in ATC but was more set on flying. However, the current job market is making me think twice and I was interested in checking out ATC.

So far this is what I've gathered. I must look for one of these 'PUBNATS' that everyone keeps talking about. Then I'll be asked to take the AT-SAT and then I go through training? Am I on the right track? Where do I find out about these PUBNATS. I've read a little bit on here and some people are speculating there will be another in the next few weeks. So I figured I should maybe start figuring this stuff out. Any links to threads that explain all of this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm just about to graduate from a rather large collegiate aviation program with a butt load of debt and no job prospects. I've always been interested in ATC but was more set on flying. However, the current job market is making me think twice and I was interested in checking out ATC.

So far this is what I've gathered. I must look for one of these 'PUBNATS' that everyone keeps talking about. Then I'll be asked to take the AT-SAT and then I go through training? Am I on the right track? Where do I find out about these PUBNATS. I've read a little bit on here and some people are speculating there will be another in the next few weeks. So I figured I should maybe start figuring this stuff out. Any links to threads that explain all of this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bronco, your best bet if you want to do ATC at this point is do find a 2 year ATC CTI school. You'd probably get hired a lot faster that route, and you drastically increase your chances of getting hired. Maybe you could even CFI at the school part time to pay for it.

I would say it is worth taking the AT-SAT test to see what you score. Why pay for an ATC school when there is a good chance of getting hired through the general public. I took my test in January. I am now waiting for a class date. So for me it will take about a year. much quicker then 2yrs. I was going to go 2 routes to try and get hired. I moved to Murfreesboro, TN to go through the CTI program. I was also applying through the general public and I finally got a job offer. now I dont have to worry about the CTI program.

haha MTSU huh? thats where i graduated from last dec. it took me 4 months to get a class date, but partially because good ole gail took one month to send my recommendation letter in or i coulda been done with okc a month quicker...are you still in the cti there or did you just drop out of it?

Bronco, your best bet if you want to do ATC at this point is do find a 2 year ATC CTI school. You'd probably get hired a lot faster that route, and you drastically increase your chances of getting hired. Maybe you could even CFI at the school part time to pay for it.

I first applied for an ATC job in February of THIS YEAR and I am starting my training in OKC in a week! I have absolutly no experience in aviation and got a 90.6 on the AT-SAT. I was told by one of the managers at the facility that I will be going to and they said that if you are not already in CTI school, don't waste the money unless you think you will really need it to do well on the test. Because this hiring process is going to be going on for a couple of years, You might as well try and take the AT-SAT before you spend a bunch of money on school. Since you have experience in aviation, they will probably look at you before others. Hope this helps!

Yeah, i'm going to say that going back to school would be a LONGER process.

If you MUST go to school, do both. I applied OTS, and i'm in a CTI program, and believe it or not, i've already tested, and waiting for Geo pref email and PEPC long before i'd even be done with my first year at school!

Try OTS, and if it doesnt work out, go back to school if you'd like! But these type of opportunities arent always gonna be around.

So I can just go take AT-SAT at any time?

What books are available to prepare for it? Where do I take it?

After I've taken it where to I apply for the OTS positions and how do I find the OTS openings?

I'm interested in getting this process started because if I'm not flight instructing by the time I graduated I'd at least like to be on track to have a job.

Thanks for all the info guys!

What books are available to prepare for it? Where do I take it?

After I've taken it where to I apply for the OTS positions and how do I find the OTS openings?

I'm interested in getting this process started because if I'm not flight instructing by the time I graduated I'd at least like to be on track to have a job.

Thanks for all the info guys!

For you to be able to take the test, you have to FIRST apply OTS (Off the street) when the next announcement is posted (stay tuned on JC, there will be a HUGE thread on it).

From there, the FAA schedules you to take the AT-SAT. However, after receiving your scores, if you're unsatisfied you could retake it in 1 year. Or go to a CTI school, and retake the AT-SAT but instead of through an OTS opening, through a CTI opening.

Dealing with CTI though, will be a longer process, that is unless the OTS candidates processing starts lagging and taking LONGER than 2 years. Then a CTI school would be feasible.

Any more questions?

Check out the FAA site for new PUBNAT openings for OTS - All Sources (not military or VRA openings, unless you are). That's where you'll apply by making an ASAP account.

Once an opening is out, apply for it.

You can only take the AT-SAT test if they select you. Just remember not everyone will be selected to take the test. And even less people will be considered to go the next step...

When and where you'll take the test will most likely depend where the opening is for. I took my AT-SAT test in Hawaii because the opening was for "Hawaii".

Good luck with your application. Let us know if you have any more questions.

haha MTSU huh? thats where i graduated from last dec. it took me 4 months to get a class date, but partially because good ole gail took one month to send my recommendation letter in or i coulda been done with okc a month quicker...are you still in the cti there or did you just drop out of it?

I never ended up going through the program at MTSU because I got the job offer for Dayton, OH.

Thanks for all of the information everyone. I'll get on ASAP, make myself an account, and stay tuned.

i'm just about to graduate from a rather large collegiate aviation program with a butt load of debt and no job prospects. I've always been interested in atc but was more set on flying. However, the current job market is making me think twice and i was interested in checking out atc.

So far this is what i've gathered. I must look for one of these 'pubnats' that everyone keeps talking about. Then i'll be asked to take the at-sat and then i go through training? Am i on the right track? Where do i find out about these pubnats. I've read a little bit on here and some people are speculating there will be another in the next few weeks. So i figured i should maybe start figuring this stuff out. Any links to threads that explain all of this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

turn back before it's too late!!

Do not look directly at the asap page!

Ahhh come on boomer your scaring the poor guy! The OTS can be a long process but I think the patience will definately be worth it. I applied OTS in MAY pubnat 2 and am headed to the kansas city PEPC this week and heres for hoping be headed to oklahoma city soon!:rawk:

Ahhh come on boomer your scaring the poor guy! The OTS can be a long process but I think the patience will definately be worth it. I applied OTS in MAY pubnat 2 and am headed to the kansas city PEPC this week and heres for hoping be headed to oklahoma city soon!:rawk:

I think trying to build time after finding an non-existant flight instructing job would test my patience more.

Luckily I have a job right now that pays enough for me to pay the bills and the student loans so I'm in no big hurry yet.

Where'd you attend? Western or Eastern? Or did you go out of state?

zz :)

The one and only Wastern Michigan University.

It's actually pretty awesome because unlike ERAU and some of the other large collegiate flight schools we have a solid regular university. Not just all aviation people. Nothing wrong with aviation people but when you fly 5 times a week, take almost all aviation classes, and work 40 hours/wk at the airport it's really nice to get away from airport people.

I think this one was answered, but no, it's the first step in the process after you apply. They'll contact you some weeks after the apps go in for you to take it.

What books are available to prepare for it?

There's only one book, written by Patrick Mattson. Here it is on Amazon; you can sometimes find used copies here.

Also, some guy wrote an extensive guide on the AT-SAT, which is available here for free.

Where do I take it?

They're hosted in several cities around the country. You'll generally take it at whichever is closest to you; i.e., I live in Austin and took mine in Houston.

As already mentioned, ASAP.

Speaking of jobs... the application process is VERY slow. Takes a year or more, generally. Unless you have a huge mountain of savings (and you already indicated that you don't), you'll need to find work while you're waiting on it. Expect to have to wait months between steps in the process... it can be tedious. Definitely not for the impatient.

Speaking of jobs... the application process is VERY slow. Takes a year or more, generally. Unless you have a huge mountain of savings (and you already indicated that you don't), you'll need to find work while you're waiting on it. Expect to have to wait months between steps in the process... it can be tedious. Definitely not for the impatient.

I've got a decent paying full time job right now and some savings. I'm not hurting financially until October '09 when it's time to start paying those loans. I understand that the process is VERY slow so I plan on continuing to pursue flying. If I find myself in a good position with flying I'll just give up on the ATC thing. I'd really rather fly but I don't want to be the supervisor of the line deparment at Western's College of Aviation for the next 5 years so I'm going to just get the ball rolling on ATC.

Back