Intercept a radial or course to a waypoint

i say “fly heading 200 intercept the COL 350 radial track inbound then on course”
It was really fun flying in the NE around '05-'06. There was an intersection that wasn't named yet, so the instruction was fly heading blah blah to intercept the radial to a certain dme, then intercept this other radial from a different vor and join a Victor airways from there.

The first time I heard it, I thought what in the hell are they trying to do to me, single pilot and /U.

This one is real world, and it might help.

If you're IFR headed west off of RWY22 out of KLEX, the clearance I've received every time is this:

Direct CHALI V171 IIU as filed...….
Immediately after takeoff I'll get, "Fly runway heading to join V171 then on course...…"

This one is real world, and it might help.

If you're IFR headed west off of RWY22 out of KLEX, the clearance I've received every time is this:

Direct CHALI V171 IIU as filed...….
Immediately after takeoff I'll get, "Fly runway heading to join V171 then on course...…"
I was looking for a random radial rather than a published course, but as it turned out, there were both in this one.

I'm putting this in the controller area although an answer fro anyone would be appreciated.

I'm looking for a real world example of a situation in which a pilot, particularly a light GA pilot might be asked to intercept a course or radial. Soley to explain what I am getting at, suppose the clearance from MVY begins with V374 GON (which is off the pic). The aircraft takes off on runway 6 and is vectored. At some point instead of a heading to join V374 or an instruction to proceed direct to some waypoint, the instruction is to fly heading 310 intercept the 340 course to FALMA. I can do that, but want something real.

The standard IFR clearance out of PAO used to be:
"Cleared to XYZ via right turn 060 within one mile of Palo Alto airport, radar vectors san jose, V334 SUNOL V194 ECA AF," etc. Generally on departure, you'd get handed off to NORCAL who, when I was training, used to vector you to "fly heading XXX," intercept V334, resume own navigation."

There were lots of similar types of clearances. I know at least some of them still exist today, 'cause Palm Springs for whatever damn reason keeps giving me vectors to intercept a victor airway in a jet... which is totally doable, but definitely more of a pain in the ass than what we normally do to navigate. But you were asking GA.

I still hear a whole lot of vectors to intercept the FIX XXX radial, resume own navigation, and so on.

Back