Insurance requirements as a ferry pilot

Boskru

I'm looking at doing some part time work as a ferry pilot. I've had a few offers but so far none of them have panned out. I was just approached about doing a flight in the next few days. I was wondering about insurance. If I were flying ferry full time I would have my own insurance but as I my only do a few flights per year I feel like it doesn't make sense for me to purchase my own. Is it unreasonable to require the owner of the plane to put me on their insurance before I do the flight? If so, does anyone know of anywhere I can get insurance on a trip by trip basis?

Many aircraft are covered by an open pilot policy which allows any qualified person to operate the aircraft without being named on the policy. You may just check with the owner to see if that is the case. I'm not sure if that would cover all your bases, but it's a good start.

Ferry is commercial work and in most cases the owner's policy stops providing any protection as soon as commercial activity takes place. FYI, the same thing happens when you give dual instruction in most owner's airplanes. Make sure the policy specifically says you are covered, or you probably are not.

You'll want the owner to get a provision from their insurance provider that states the ferry flight is cover and also that you are not subject to subrogation (this means they wont pay the owner and then just sue you). Yes, this will cost them money.

Also, even if the owner's policy does list you so that their hull coverage is still in effect while you are ferrying it, their liability coverage probably does not extend to you, so if you damage other property their policy isn't going to cover it.

You probably want to carry some liability coverage for yourself at a minimum.

I've always been added as a named pilot for the ferry/ dual given during the flight. Never had any issues, nor made any claims.

The problem with getting your own insurance is that ferrying can be competitive and you'll be undercut frequently by "I'll do it for flight time". Makes it difficult for you to justify your expenses when the kid behind you is doing it for flight time...

The problem with getting your own insurance is that ferrying can be competitive and you'll be undercut frequently by "I'll do it for flight time". Makes it difficult for you to justify your expenses when the kid behind you is doing it for flight time...

x100. But they get what they pay for. :biggrin:

I do 3-5 ferry flights a year and have always asked to be named if not covered under the blanket policy (usually I am) and get a copy of the policy to read for myself to ensure coverage and have never had any problems.

I insist that both my company and myself are listed as named insured. It is part of my contract. Yes, my work is primarily big jets, but the theory is the same. And even on the big jets you would be surprised how many people (especially retarded, err I mean retired) are willing to work for next to nothing to take a jet half way around the world, with all the planning and potential problems that entails.

I cant say it enough - DO NOT FLY FOR FREE. I dont care if it is a C172 or a B747, you have skills someone needs. Do us all a favor and start having some pride in those skills.

Again, I caution that just because you're named or qualify as an open pilot, that the owner is probably not covered at all during a ferry flight because it's commercial activity. Educate the pilot that their $20,000-200,000 (or more) investment might be uninsured and they might decide the cheapo ferry pilot isn't such a great deal.

x100. But they get what they pay for. :biggrin:

I do 3-5 ferry flights a year and have always asked to be named if not covered under the blanket policy (usually I am) and get a copy of the policy to read for myself to ensure coverage and have never had any problems.
Or what they don't pay for...:)

Again, I caution that just because you're named or qualify as an open pilot, that the owner is probably not covered at all during a ferry flight because it's commercial activity. Educate the pilot that their $20,000-200,000 (or more) investment might be uninsured and they might decide the cheapo ferry pilot isn't such a great deal.
I will second that caution. It's a pretty safe bet that the owner's policy specifically excludes coverage for commercial activities. If the owner has a good agent he might be able to purchase special coverage for the ferry flight but if I were the owner, I'd probably rather do business with a ferry company that carries insurance to cover its own liability.

Or what they don't pay for...:)

While talking to a college kid earlier this year, he tells me that he did a 1,400NM ferry flight in a light single for flight time. Sure, its hard to convince someone that you're a good commercial pilot at 300 hours, we have all been there. I resisted the urge to punch him in the mouth and tried to convince him that he's earned his ratings, earn respectable compensation for them. Haven't heard from him since, so he's probably still doing it for free.

I don't care if somebody flies for free. I think it's stupid and wouldn't do it myself, because personally I'd rather spend my time having a BBQ with friends, or watching movies on Hulu, or going for a bike ride, or...doing pretty much anything other than WORK for free. But if some young, eager pilot wants to take on the responsibility and hassle of moving a plane, with nothing to show for it, no skin off my back. If they do it often enough, they'll learn their lesson eventually when it becomes not-fun anymore, or they have an incident and get sued.

Back to the original question--I hate to say it, but this is exactly why I only work for a broker who covers me as an employee on his company's insurance. There are too many "gotchas" with freelance ferrying. Not to say it can't be done safely and profitably, but it's usually a hassle to line everything up on your own.

Every flight ferry flight I've ever done, including actual ferry permit flights, were all covered by the other person's insurance. Part of me getting the offer was contingent on me being approved by the underwriter.

Back