Insurance absurdities

escapepilot

I found this so absurd, I had to share.

I was asked to fill in for a jump pilot this weekend flying skydivers in a 182. Filled out the insurance pilot record with total 182 time - 18.x hrs, total 206 time - 8.x hrs, 53 other single engine makes and models, 3901.x hrs including 2204 tailwheel. Zero time hauling skydivers.

Apparently I'm under qualified because I don't have enough 182 time and no skydiver time. They didn't bother to ask if I had any other commercial flying experience, but I doubt banner towing, crop dusting, or fire suppression would have made a difference.

So for all of you guys looking to build time carrying skydivers...good luck.

Ya that's dumb. At 3900 hours a single engine cessna is a single engine cessna. Especially if you're single engine current. 152, 206 whatever, close enough. If you can start the engine there's nothing left to screw up. Figure out what Vy is and have fun.

That's very strange. I've seen guys with no 182 time have no trouble getting insured. I, having 25hrs of 182 time had no troubles either. It sounds like they need a new insurance company, one that works for the pilots, not against them.

Insurance companies these days will only insure you if you have a type rating in a 182 and have simulator based training at either flight safety or simuflite within the past 12 months. In other words, It's ridiculous with the numbers these people come up with sometimes.

I had 2000 hours and 2 type ratings, and my boss wanted me to fly him in his friend's Saratoga II TC. The friends insurance company wanted me to get 25 hours of dual before going at it myself. The guy couldn't understand why I laughed at the absurdity, and why I told him he needed to find another insurance company if they weren't willing to agree to me just doing a simple trip around the pattern.

I hate commercial aviation insurance.

Actually I hate the legal system and idiotic jurors in this country who seem to think think tort / lawsuits are a great way to redistribute wealth... that's what causes aviation insurance to be so ridiculous. Absurd requirements, absurd payments, and insurance companies still go out of business or shut down big chunks of their business each year because they operate at a loss. I am in the middle of working out new policies for the next year right now and it's giving me an ulcer and a lot of new grey hair.

The insurers are numbers people, statisticians, they are trying to figure out some way that X number of hours in this block of the application will reduce their risk of another huge loss. I dont envy their job either.

However, in a situation like that escapepilot, you or the jump center should speak with their broker. What the numbers people dont see, an half-way intelligent broker should be able to clear up.

I had 2000 hours and 2 type ratings, and my boss wanted me to fly him in his friend's Saratoga II TC. The friends insurance company wanted me to get 25 hours of dual before going at it myself.

I'm not even sure what you could do for 25 hours in Saratoga. God that would be boring after the first few laps around the pattern.

The open pilot clause for the Malibu Mirage I fly requires the same number of hours in type as the Cessna 150 I used to own. 50 hours in a Mirage to fly solo seems more reasonable than 50 hours in a 150 to fly solo...

The open pilot clause for the Malibu Mirage I fly requires the same number of hours in type as the Cessna 150 I used to own. 50 hours in a Mirage to fly solo seems more reasonable than 50 hours in a 150 to fly solo...

That is insane. I had ~6 hours in our twin turbo prop when I flew pax single pilot for the first time. Just 4ish hours dual if you will and a 135 ride.

I've given up trying to make sense of insurance. It seems like they reach into a random number generator and come out with numbers you need to have.

I've given up trying to make sense of insurance. It seems like they reach into a random number generator and come out with numbers you need to have.

The more absurd they get, the more pilots are going to just be like... ya sure I've got "150" hours in a 152. Because it takes 150 hours to figure out a 152 after all.:rolleyes:

I hate commercial aviation insurance.

Actually I hate the legal system and idiotic jurors in this country who seem to think think tort / lawsuits are a great way to redistribute wealth... that's what causes aviation insurance to be so ridiculous. Absurd requirements, absurd payments, and insurance companies still go out of business or shut down big chunks of their business each year because they operate at a loss. I am in the middle of working out new policies for the next year right now and it's giving me an ulcer and a lot of new grey hair.

The insurers are numbers people, statisticians, they are trying to figure out some way that X number of hours in this block of the application will reduce their risk of another huge loss. I dont envy their job either.

However, in a situation like that escapepilot, you or the jump center should speak with their broker. What the numbers people dont see, an half-way intelligent broker should be able to clear up.

Interesting that you don't blame the people who actually bring the suits.

Back