Instruments required for an ILS

I still dont think I'm understanding what you're asking. If you want to fly an ILS, and you need DME data, put the VOR in the GPS. That will give you distance, and that counts as DME. You do not need the GPS on an ILS approach. Its really quite simple. If you don't have DME or a GPS, you cant fly the approach if it says "DME REQUIRED".

[ QUOTE ]
You do not need the GPS on an ILS approach. Its really quite simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I think what he wants to do is fly the ILS while using the moving map of the GPS and the waypoints depicted for reference, while at the same time show real DME from the TCH VOR.

I don't know if some GA model GPS's have a page or setting where a particular navaid can be tuned in to get real DME distances much like we can do with FMC equipped aircraft?

I think, if your GPS is so equipped, would be to go to the HSI mode and type in the TCH identifier or freq and then flip between the waypoints page for the approach and HSI page for DME from TCH.

Confused yet?
confused.gif
grin.gif

First, what I am interested is while flying a GPS couple approach. So while you are flying coupled approach you cannot tune in the VOR on the GPS or you disengage the AP.

So A300, what you are saying is possible but it just doesn't seem right, to flip between two pages while on approach. What I was getting at too was "does the FAA feel this is appropriate?"

What you are saying does not make any sense. You cannot fly a 'GPS Coupled Approach' on an ILS, you would have to couple the AP to the localizer/glide slope to fly a coupled ILS. Otherwise you will just follow the localizer course in the GPS database. You are not supposed to do this. The ILS approaches in the GPS database are for sitauational awareness only. You are not even supposed to fly a localizer approach this way, even though it would be possible to do so.

To fly a coupled approach with an autopilot you should tune and ID the localizer and couple the autopilot to that. To get DME info you have two choices. In the GPS you can either pick the navaid that is depicted on the approach plate for DME, or load the ILS approach from the GPS database. If you pick the approach from the GPS database it will give distance to the fixes listed on the plate, then cycle to the next fix. For instance if you are on the localizer the GPS will show how far you are from the outermarker, then the mm, then the runway threshold. If you pick the navaid that is used on the plate you would pick the VOR or the localizer, etc. Then you will have DME just as it is depicted.

When I am flying an ILS approach I prefer to use the navaid depicted on the plate. It is less confusing and it is easier to just put in 'Direct' to the navaid than load an approach. This also has the advantage of not having the GPS go into suspend mode after you go missed like it does after you cross the runway threshold if you actually loaded the approach.

Good tip.

You are right about the coupled approach. What I was thinking of was the last time I shot a coupled approach I was following the DME arc in on the GPS and one established on the localizer the AP arms for the glideslope. I will have to check out this week. I will play with switching to tracking the VOR for the DME on the GPS. But it still won't display DME from a VOR while selecting an approach on the GPS. I know what you are saying is that you should select an approach, just put in the FAF intesection and the final waypoint as the VOR and you will get it. But it still seems strange to me that you cannot monitor DME while on final after selecting the approach to be loaded in the GPS.

[ QUOTE ]
But it still seems strange to me that you cannot monitor DME while on final after selecting the approach to be loaded in the GPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can with RNAV!
cool.gif

I am bummed I have never been in a plane with RNAV, it sounds really cool. But I cannot say I would want to trade the MFD I have been flying with. Man, you have so much more situational awareness.

It sounds like a display option problem. Gotta love the non-standarzation in GPS, eh?

We have a (VFR) only moving map GPS in our aircraft. It allows us to select different options for what kind of information we display. But, the only way to set this up is to go into the menus - it's not something that you would normally select while in the "operating" mode.

From what I've gathered through this is that if you break out the manual I'll bet there is a way to do exactly what you want to do. I can't imagine that a Garmin 430 would have you switch between modes to get the information you want all while tryng to shoot an approach.

Just my 2 cents.

tongue.gif

When you select the ILS 35 @SLC in the Garmin 430...

...first, you get a warning saying its for monitoring use only. But as far as what you see? It doesnt give you DME from TCH (the VOR), unless you select the nearest page- but it does give you Dist. to Next waypoint (intersection) on the approach. It doesnt take much mental math to get the distance from the VOR from that.

Oh give me a break, do really think that when I refered to how nice the MFD is for situational awareness it has anything to with my piloting skills. Talk about ego, don't let yours get stuck in the door. To make a reference like that based on THIS thread you have got to be thinking you are on a cloud, not in one.

Back