Instrument students

Michigan_Flyer

I am a CFII with a whopping 40 hours of dual given.

When I am flying with an instument student, how much time should I devote to basic flying skills? I have been flying with one guy whose instrument skills are getting fairly good but he is is sort of lacking in normal landings, crosswind landings, basic airport operations and checklist habits (E.G. He will complete the after landing checklist while we are still rolling down the runway).

I have made some observations and comments to him about these things, but he does not seem real interested in improving them. Should I insist on holding him to the same high standards that I expect out of my private students?

Good VFR habits are the foundation of soild IFR skills.
If he can't land in a crosswind, how's he gonna fly a partial panel NDB in one?

-Just one low timer's opinion
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Should I insist on holding him to the same high standards that I expect out of my private students?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Your name is in their logbook. Do NOT lower the bar for students who are lazy or just plain suck. If they don't like you, they will go somewhere else (trust me, I know), but in the end, you do not have to feel like you could have done better with them. If I were in your shoes, I would tell that student that his basic flight skills need to be polished up before continuing instrument training any further.

Back