Instrument recency confusion.

Holocene

Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person who does not meet the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) of this section within the prescribed time, or within 6 calendar months after the prescribed time, may not serve as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR until that person passes an instrument proficiency check consisting of a representative number of tasks required by the instrument rating practical test.

Here's what I don't get. To be instrument current, you must have peformed the 6 instrument approaches, holding proceedures, and intercepting and tracking of navigational courses within the proceeding 6 calendar months.

But then it goes on to say, "or within 6 calendar months after the prescribed time".

WTF?

So if you don't meet the recency requirments within the proceeding 6 calendar months, how is it that you can somehow have "6 months after that" to get current?

Which is it?

Are they saying you have 6 additional months to go up with a safety pilot if you're not current?

Here's what I don't get. To be instrument current, you must have peformed the 6 instrument approaches, holding proceedures, and intercepting and tracking of navigational courses within the proceeding 6 calendar months.

But then it goes on to say, "or within 6 calendar months after the prescribed time".

WTF?

So if you don't meet the recency requirments within the proceeding 6 calendar months, how is it that you can somone have "6 months after that" to get current?

Which is it?

Are they saying you have 6 additional months to go up with a safety pilot if you're not current?

Yes. A safety pilot in non-instrument conditions or a CFII.

:yeahthat: I guess after those two deadlines then you would need an Instrument proficiency check (IPC).

Think of the second 6 months as a "grace period". You can't act PIC under IFR, but you can still get current without doing an entire IPC.

The best way that I have found to get around this confusion is to look back in your book for the preceding six monthes and ask a few questions. First, am I current? If not, how long have I been out of currency? Less than six monthes-> I can get current again with the use of a safety pilot. More than six monthes->IPC

Essentially, any time you have been out of currency for for more than six monthes you need an IPC. Less than six monthes out of currency and you can get current with the help of a safety pilot.

I know I said the same thing twice. People normally hear/read the bold print as something other than stated so that is reason I made it bold. Hope it helps.
-Jason

A double-I isn't required for anything until the "you need an IPC" stage.

Correct, as a CFI you would be basicly a glorified safety pilot. A CFII is only required for a certificate or rating.

I never got my II, but I did plenty of instrument instruction, G1000 checkouts, safetypilot time, refresher courses, ect.

A double-I isn't required for anything until the "you need an IPC" stage.

You're right. I just meant that an instructor is required if you want to fly in instrument conditions if you're past your six months. CFII after twelve months.

You're right. I just meant that an instructor is required if you want to fly in instrument conditions if you're past your six months. CFII after twelve months.

Actually, not even that. A good rule of thumb in determining when an instructor of any kind is required is to think of it this way: A CFI or CFII is only ever needed for the issuance of a signoff or endorsement.

If your sixth-to-last instrument approach in instrument conditions was more than 6 calendar months ago, you are not able to act as PIC on a flight under instrument conditions. In order to get that currency back, you must do 6 approaches. Since no logbook endorsement is required for these 6 approaches, a CFI or CFII is not required. You just can't file IFR while you do the 6 approaches, unless you bring someone else along (CFI or not as long as they have a current instrument rating) to act as PIC.

If you elect to not file IFR, you only need a safety pilot (doesn't even have to be instrument rated) to act as safety pilot while you do approaches under the hood.

You can also get those 6 approaches in a sim or FTD, but in that case, a CFI is required, because a CFI is always required when logging FTD/simulator time (at least thats the impression I'm under, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

If you, by chance let your currency lapse to the point where your sixth-to-last approach was more than 12 calendar months ago, then the 6 approaches is not enough, you must get an IPC, which does require a logbook endorsement, therefore a certified instructor is required. Furthermore, an IPC is one of those actions that the FAA has determined a plain ol' CFI is not enough, so a CFII is required.

butt is absolutely right.

And yes, you must have an instructor with you to log sim time as it is always dual given.

Back