Instrument Rated

fisher37

well....I became instrument rated today. It was probably the most easy flight i've been on in awhile. Shot 3 approaches. The first was the VOR/DME-A into Abilene, KS. This is kind of an interesting approach, the VOR isnt on the field, about 20 miles away. I kind of made a mistake on this one, but I ended up doing everything correctly except for an altitude mistake. The second approach was the RNAV-GPS 30 into Salina, KS. That one was spot on, even had my PFD failed on me...that was interesting, havent had much practice on that. The third and final approach was the ILS/LOC 35 into Salina. Did great on that one, circled to land on runway 17.

The oral just covered the basics. Alternates...MEAs...etc....and a few questions about the g1000 systems.

The weather today wasn't really up to par, had a 50 knot crosswind into Abilene...and about a 25 knot tailwind on the ILS. All in all, I don't think I should have passed, but my examiner thought different I guess!

I appreciate all the well wishes and everything on my thread about my written tests. This is the BEST aviation message board out there! Thanks again JC and JC members!!!!

Congrats! Seeing all these instrument write ups is awesome! My instructor says one more flight and then I'm ready for my checkride....of course, we've been trying for one more flight for about 2.5 weeks now...Ohio weather, ugh!

Congrats! Seeing all these instrument write ups is awesome! My instructor says one more flight and then I'm ready for my checkride....of course, we've been trying for one more flight for about 2.5 weeks now...Ohio weather, ugh!

Yeah tell me about that OHIO weather GRRR..I need a couple more flights so I can finally take my commercial ride... Anyway Congrats on the instrument! Have fun with it.

Congrats!

I was supposed to take mine last weekend but got canceled due to weather so I'm not taking it for another 2-3 weeks 'til I get back to school...sucks because I'll have to spend more $$ to go up for a couple hours of 'refreshment'.

Congratulations!:nana2: I know the feeling about not thinking you should have passed...i felt the same way! I guess the examiners had mercy on us.:p

Contgrats fisher! I did mine a couple weeks ago with rippin' winds and rain aloft. The winds were gusty as hell on the surface too, but right down rwy 18. I would tell you what my ground speeds were on checkride day, but I didn't have a camera with me(obviously;)). I had already been canceled once due to mx, and once for weather. Before we went up I had a pep talk with myself about summoning my "God given" inner freight dog...:bandit:

Feels great to knock it out, especially on a challenging weather day, and your the only one out at the airport flying!

Thanks for the comments guys, I have to do a little bit of hour building before I can fly a complex aircraft due to insurance reasons through my school...I'm hoping to be flying Bonanzas by the end of February.

Congrats!!! I had a real sense of achiement after my Instrument ride. Enjoy it, just remember to stay current!!

What was your TT at checkride time if you don't mind me asking?

my oral was litterally like 45 minutes. the flight time was 1.4...shortest checkride i've ever had!

Back