Instrument book

farwellbooth

I'm working on my IR and looking for a book/study guide that puts the regs and IR knowledge into practical scenarios? I have the Jepp and ASAs oral study good... looking for something more than "What's a METAR?" or "What are the required instruments for IFR?" thanks

I used Machado's instrument book, along with Kersherner's instrument book. The sportys videos were okay; but at $200 and after forcing myself to watch them I didn't really feel they were worth that much.

Another good book is the one by Richard L. Taylor (can't remember what it's called; maybe Instrument Flying).

Has anyone seen something like ASAs oral prep but applying the knowledge more? Questions that make you think instead of spewing acronyms?

The best instrument books I have read so far are Rod Mochado's Instrument Flying Handbook and Weather Flying by Robert Buck. If your looking for something to help you with regs, FARs Explained by Kent Jackson is good. It covers Parts 1, 61, 91, and 141, but you can get a lot of good information about IFR regs from it.

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone seen something like ASAs oral prep but applying the knowledge more? Questions that make you think instead of spewing acronyms?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I can suggest is to go to the checkride forums and check out the links.

I used:
(a) the ASA Text, which I found to be WAY to verbose...I don't recommend;
(b) FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook. VERY good. Straight to the point. Easy to understand.
(c) Using ASA's Oral Test Prep. guide. SO far, so good... I'll let you know after the ride...
(d) For the written, you can't beat Gleim.

Good luck!

R2F

Not exactly a book, but it does ask more detailed questions like: "What are the thirteen required reports of an instrument pilot?"

http://www.genehudson.com/ghft/ifr.html

Rod Machado's 2nd Edition "Instrument Pilot Survival Manual" is excellent.
The Jepp Book, "FARs Explained" is good with the actual court cases on various regulations.

Good Luck!
Jedi Nein

Back