Instrument Approach Brief

SJFLYER

I would like to know from the airline guys. How do you brief your approaches? IE the way to do it when ask on an interview to brief an approach.

thanks,

ORL

Basically, we just start at the top and work your way down.

1. Airport, chart, date

From the briefing strip:
2. Freq.
3. Final approach course
4. DA
5. TDZE
6. MSA(s)

Plan View
7. IAF (if required)
8. Course changes

9. Altitudes

10. Missed Approach Plan

11. Minimums

"This is the Bingo ILS 16, no changes - same as it has been the past 585 times we've flown it - request direct Syracuse on the missed"
grin.gif

Ok so it wasn't usually quite that relaxed but sometimes. At a regional airline especially where you fly the same approaches over and over and over again it's very easy to get complacent. Even the people that pick up the charts and look at them while briefing will often read the info from memory and not even notice that maybe an altitude has changed. Develop a good briefing system and make sure you actually read the chart when you do a briefing!!!

Jason

APPROACH BRIEF
1. I.D. APP Plate
2. Primary APP Nav Tuned - ID
3. Marker Beacon Test and Set
4. FAC Verified - Set - #1 Nav
5. FAF ALT (Rvs) - Step Downs
6. DA / MDA - Vis - LOC - Circle
7. MAP Point - Procedure
8. Time - VDP
9. Terrain
10. No Nav Flags
11. Power Set
12. G-U-M-P-B-L-E-S

^^ dunno if you can use this; but it works for me (I got it from my instructor).

Never heard of GUMBLES...the one that I have always used is BCGUM.

Boost pump
Carb heat
Gas fullest tank
Undercarriage down
Mixture rich

[ QUOTE ]
GUMPBLES is a new one on me - what's it stand for?!
Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Gas
undercarrage
mixture
prop (or power for fixed pitch)
brakes
landing lights
engine guages
safety belts

We use GUMPSS:

Gas (fuel pump on, on fuller tank, guages in the green)
Undercarriage (down and... welded
grin.gif
.. locked)
Mixture (rich)
Props (set on <insert appropriate setting here>)
Switches (on)
Seatbelts (on and locked)

yeah i've always used... GUMPSLB

s, l, b seat belts, landing ligh, brake pressure.

also one thing a lot of people over look at this point (which is not requiered in some airplanes, but good idea) is carb heat. if you use carb heat on decents, approaches and landings, when you're going through this checklist you might want to get that on too... even if you're not out of the green yet. its just one less thing to worry about when you're on your approach.

I always used BCGUMPSLC

Boost Pump -- Check Fuel PSI and On if needed
Cowl Flaps -- Closed
Gas (Fuel Selector) -- Both or fullest tank
Undercarriage -- Extend
Mixture -- Rich
Propellor -- Full Forward
Seatbelts -- On
Landing Lights -- On
Carb Heat -- As needed

Hasn't failed me yet.........

[ QUOTE ]
I always used BCGUMPSLC

[/ QUOTE ]

Just how the hell are you supposed to say that?! Like it's spelled, right
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just how the hell are you supposed to say that?! Like it's spelled, right

[/ QUOTE ]

bee-see gumps-ull-see

usually we still just refer to to it as "The Gumps check".
tongue.gif

I use A-MICE-ATM.

It's sound's a little weird, but it covers all the bases.

A - ATIS/AWOS info. Know what the weather's doing before you're at the MDA/DH.

M - Mag Compass & Marker Beacon (if required). If things get busy close in the terminal area, it's nice to know that the nose is pointed in the right direction. Get that marker beacon on, tested, and loud now.

I - IDENTIFY EVERYTHING!!!! Enough said.

C - Course Inbound. Know the final approach segment. Sometimes there's a course change after the procedure turn....don't let that creep up on you.

E - Entry. Know weather or not there will be an IAF, if you'll do a procedure turn, or hold-type course reversal, or if you'll be getting vectors onto a published segment of the approach.

A - Altitudes. Know any step-down fixes, Initial altitude, MDA's, DH, etc.

T - Time. If you'll need to time the approach, figure out what speed you'll be shooting the approach, when you'll start timing, and what you're time to the MAP will be.

M - Missed Approach. Know the missed. If nothing else, know the initial climb, heading, and have the holding point (if there is one) set up and clearly in your head.

Everyone has their own approach briefing, but I've found that this one is quick, easy, and get's the job done when a controller throws an off-the wall approach at you. (Example : I had this experience a few weeks ago, talking to Nashville Approach.

TRACON : N92659, you can expect the NDB Approach at Gallatin.

N92659 : We're unable the NDB approach, we're not showing that it exists anymore.

TRACON : OK, how about the GPS RWY 35 Approach? [Which I'd Never Even Known About....nobody ever uses that]

N92659 : OK, that'll be fine.

TRACON : Roger, N92659 Proceed Direct OPCIL, now 4 miles west of OPCIL, cleared GPS RWY 35 Approach, report crossing APATY

All this, in the clouds, 3 miles vis, 500 OVC. Thank goodness for a good briefing procedure!!!

Back