Instructor Jobs

I'd say that the majority of the instructors here have gone through the UND flight program. However, UND has hired folks from outside the "program" before.

During the hiring session in August of 2007 they did. UND was pretty desperate then... they hired a lot of instructors. I know of at least one guy that was hired from outside (he was worried that they wouldn't hire him because he wasn't from UND). There may have been more.

I'm not sure what their hiring situation is like right now.

Too cold for me to go there. I chickened out, when you have a temperature chart in the flight manual that says you can't fly when it this cold. I'm not going.

If I went the UND I would be a junior now in college and maybe working on my CFI. But I went a different route and now am a senior and working on my CFII. So I think so too.:)

Do they hire outside of the hiring workshop?

No but if they're desperate for pilots they schedule one at anytime of the year. Also only if they're desperate would they hire someone outside of the program. Honestly though, take it from someone whos been there. Instructing at UND was the worse of my flying career. Much better places out there to instruct at.

=Jason-

Not 100% true. UND has re-hired former instructors outside of hiring seminars.

but if they're desperate for pilots (instructors) they schedule one at anytime of the year.

UND seems to schedule hiring sessions on an "as needed" basis.

Also only if they're desperate would they hire someone outside of the program.

Not true. I remember when I was hired many folks having gone through the program here were turned away, but some from outside the program were offered employment.

Honestly though, take it from someone whos been there. Instructing at UND was the worse of my flying career.

...And, you can take it from someone who's "been there" as well and I'd say that I'd completely disagree with you...

Much better places out there to instruct at.

To each their own

but those are very special cases, and usually old instructors coming back. not brand new guys who have never been in the program

i thought you were quoting me, but it now, under closer inspection, looks like you took apart LOGS post.............

No but if they're desperate for pilots they schedule one at anytime of the year. Also only if they're desperate would they hire someone outside of the program. Honestly though, take it from someone whos been there. Instructing at UND was the worse of my flying career. Much better places out there to instruct at.

=Jason-
I agree. The pay is extremely mediocre. I was stuck instructing there due to lack of money to move. Most people who "enjoy" instructing at UND are those who like it because their college buddies are still there.

I agree. The pay is extremely mediocre. I was stuck instructing there due to lack of money to move. Most people who "enjoy" instructing at UND are those who like it because their college buddies are still there.

True, what really bugged me was:
WX, during the winter the weather is so bad that sometimes you go over a week of not flying, I don't know how many times I drove out to the airport just to sit around all day hoping for the weather to break. There's only so many breifings you can do. Also trying to teach someone an ILS in full snowgear with the windsheild freezing on the inside cause its so cold the crappy glass warr's heat blows cold is no fun.

Always someone looking over your shoulder and to get anywhere it always felt like you had to suck up to the right person.

Attitude, the attitude sucks. I once got "talked" to by my lead because I was too friendly with my students, that I didn't hold the professionalism. My ways of instructing is to be good friends with my students, its makes a more comfortable teaching evciroment, and possibly thats why I had 100% passrate and highest completion rate in my team.

In the end, I realize that UND makes great airline pilots, yes if thats your plan and all you want to do it jump on a regional and ride that train to the majors go right ahead, and that's how they train you. I like to make real-world pilots. My belief is that if my student can enconter it out flying on their own, I want them to experience it first with me, someone whos experience and can show you what to do. UND does not like this.

Ok well I'm done ranting, everyone has their own experience. What I've noticed is that people who say UND is great really has no other experience to compare it to. Most CFI there, then jump on a regional and that's that. There is a UND Bubble, and well if you never really get out of it, how do you know its there.

=Jason-

What I've noticed is that people who say UND is great really has no other experience to compare it to. Most CFI there, then jump on a regional and that's that. There is a UND Bubble, and well if you never really get out of it, how do you know its there.

If you look carefully, there are many folks here who have either left and come back or have other outside experience to offer up (myself included)

Back