Instructor Hiring

kellwolf

Piece of Trash
I'm pondering going to ATP next summer (either Vegas, Phoenix or Jacksonville depending on where life is at that point). The big question for me is this: if you just do their instructor ratings program, what are the odds of getting hired as an instructor there. I would be willing to do their career track, but at that point I will already have everything from private to multi-commercial. Will they give me credit for those and let me start from there, or is it going to cost me $35K?

When I spoke with one of their guys, he said that it's a fixed cost program. (career track) I am just a few hours away from my COMM/SEL and they told me I would have to redo all of my instrument training again, but that it would all be in multi engine, so I shouldn't really worry about it.
smirk.gif
As far as being hired by them, I really have no idea, but I would bet that if you were to do the CFI stuff at Jacksonville, you would have a better chance at being hired as an instructor, seeing as that's their main HQ. No guarantees with any of it though.
smirk.gif

>> I would bet that if you were to do the CFI stuff at Jacksonville, you would have a better chance at being hired as an instructor

I disagree. We have people in the office right now that did their CFI training in Jax, Atlanta, Riverside, and Sacramento. Regardless of where you do the program, you are still talking to the same dispatchers and working with the same company, so I don't see any advantage to Jacksonville.

Basically, I just want to get on with a school where I don't show up to work hoping someone will come in to fly so that I can feed myself. That's why I think I want to instruct at a 141 school or something similar. The fact that ATP does nearly all their training in Multis makes it even better. Anyone just done the instructor ratings and been hired, or are all instructors taken from the $35K program?

pscraig

I have a scheduled interview for the Career Pilot Program with ATP cominig up in Riverside. I plan on doing the 10 month program but you just said that ATP only hires from the "35K" program. Are these essentially the same programs except that one is done in 90 days and the other in 10 months?

Do you think ATP will have a problem with hiring people from the 10 month program? I understand that there are not that many people enrolled in this program (10 month) nationwide.

I would appreciate any feedback

Thanks

Let me clarify...one important distinction, for those who might not be familiar with these programs, is the career pilot program is the 90-day program that includes the CFI ratings, and is $35K. The commercial pilot program is a 10-month program that does not include the CFI ratings, and costs $30K. It's my understanding that the commercial pilot program people who do the $4995 instructor program afterward are equal to the career pilot program people for hiring purposes. Both actually cost $35K, but that is a good point.

Aaron!

It's Bob from the "Bob & Joe" show! We were the career pilots from Dallas that visited you up there in Salem earlier this week! I just now realized that it was you... and now your JC nickname makes perfect sense after talking with you!
smile.gif

I still can't believe how well you and Joe got along with the whole TX/OK thing! LOL!

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the diversion to Crater Lake... It was truly awesome and one of the best highlights of our x-countries!

Bob

Hmmm, well there goes THAT idea. I just don't see how I can justify paying $35K to go through ratings that I already have. That's one of the reasons I avoided Comair (oops, Delta Connection Academy). Yeah, I'd get the multi time, but I could get more for less just renting a Seminole.
frown.gif

Dude, I would call 1-800-all-atps and tell them your situation. That's the onlly way you'll find out a definate price. I highly doubt that you have to do all of your ratings again and blow $35k. That's silly.

Just got e-mail back from them, and it is $35K no matter what. They do have a multi PIC time building program, though....

When I talked to ATP I was told because I already had my pvt/inst that I would not have to take any of those things over. I was told that I would pick up where I was and would be paired with someone around the same situation as mine. Unless they changed no need to do instrument ride over.

If you start with an instrument rating, you will still fly the same amount and pay the same amount as someone who did not have the rating. I know several people who have done this, and they ended up flying more XC with their instructor during the time they would otherwise be working on the instrument rating. They were shooting approaches and doing some instrument work to refine their instrument skills.

If you have extra hours to fly with your instructor, you should consider going night-time XC to some complex airspace (DP's and such). It is really good experience, and it helps later when you're building time towards your ATP rating.

Re: Hey Capt. Bob!

Hey Capt. Bob! Yes, even Sooners can tolerate Shorthorns when they are part of the ATP family! I enjoyed talking with both of you guys and I am glad you got to see Crater Lake. Keep in touch.

Back