Instructor hiring rate

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
be careful what rumors your put stock in

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Like I said, I'll post what the buzz that I've heard is. Hopefully things are unchanged but it made this rumor will make the frasca a lot harder to fly.

It is FlightSafety and they do have a reputation to uphold as far as offering the best instruction in the buisness.
Getting through the CFI course does not guarantee a job. No one has ever made this claim. In fact you are not actually hired until you make it thru stand (and yes people do fail out of this)
I personally have never had any expierences with the top management personal that have not been completely straight foward and honest. If thier opinion was that those 6 individuals didn't make the cut, I will trust that.

I've never thought that you were guaranteed a job, but I was always lead to believe that there was an oportunity to get a job at FSA.

Like I said, if the 6 weren't up to snuff, then so be it. But, we (my friends) are a little suspicious that the fix was in and may continue to be in. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Historically they have interviewed every month and accepted about 80-85% of the applicants. I suggest waiting to see if those numbers hold up before passing judgement
grin.gif

Were those that were interviewed fresh graduates of the CIME/CFI program, or had they been away for a while? (excuse my not knowing the process very well). If they had been away for a while, I can see how their skills may have lost their edge.

I wouldn't believe every rumor that you hear. This is probably just that FSI is being a lot more picky about who they hire simply because the supply of potential candidates is so great.
A simple way to check would be to see if anyone at all got hired.

If they had such a policy, and it became public, they would really shoot themselves in the foot.

A similar rumor started last year that check airmen were instructed to fail as many students as possible when enrollments were down. This was untrue. FSI has to maintain at least an 80% pass rate to maintain self-examining authority (and the FAA can examine records to make sure things don't go the other way and get too lenient).

I'd say both rumors were probably started by disaffected students who probably didn't get hired or busted a checkride.

Hey Guys

I just started reading this thread and I'm a little confused about what exactly you are talking about. I looked into FSI before 9/11 but got out of touch a little. When you say that 1 in 6 CFI interviewed were hired, are you referring to CFI's that will go to the pool at ASA which is 52? or are these interviews to get hired at FSI as a CFI? Is this whole program seprate from the ASA fast track and has ASA even hired guys from this program recently? Sorry to be a pest about this but its a very interesting discussion and I just wanted to get the full idea of whats going on over at FSI.

Thanks

I have a hard time believing that this is true. Management would not do something like that if for no other reason then it isn't good business. Word gets out on stuff like that, and, if quality students were purposely not put on the CFI list to keep the list small, customers and potential ones would react negatively. Historically I have seen large %'s taken, and small %'s taken, in any one group. To be honest, I don't know what goes on behind doors in that interview room, it wouldn't surprise me if the standard has gone up. But, thats approapriate, as when I started here instuctors were in demand, begging them to come and stay, and they just flat needed them. Now its the reverse. Old supply and demand I guess. I doubt this rumor is true though. Its bad business. Just do the best that you can do in your training, working hard and showing yourself to be a good candidate here. Don't kiss ass but get yourself a good reputation with the upper people. And chances will be in your favor. Thats all you can really control, everything else is really out of your hands.

3green,
I don't think this is out of the question. By what you said about the standards going up, you make it seem possible. And, why were the standards down? This is FSA and we expect the best training, not the best available training. By reading your post it seems like there's lower standards when there are a surplus of students (more money to be made). But, when there is a glut, FSA is only taking the ones that are up to the new standards, which therefore helps them to get more money (oops, I mean students) by not increasing the size of the list and scaring away potential customers.

I'm not really trying to start an arguement with you, just tossing out a reply.

I also hope that this isn't happening, but if it is then it follows what you said
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Management would not do something like that if for no other reason then it isn't good business. Word gets out on stuff like that, and, if quality students were purposely not put on the CFI list to keep the list small, customers and potential ones would react negatively.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm one of the students that will react negatively, if this proves to be true. Like I've always said, we'll wait and see.

Back to the books.

Just a simple tip...
Attitude means everything. I know we've all heard that before but really sit and think about your own attitude and more importantly - how your attitude is perceived. The sceptical comments you've made so far could be hidden very well in your dealings with management and others(like your instructor), but make sure you don't wear them on your chest. Nobody wants to hire someone with a bad attitude that wont take one for the team. Yes I know ... BS is BS, but no one needs to know that you know that - if you know what I mean.

I know it's early but take the half day it takes to read Checklist for Success and you wont regret it. There is way more to this pro piloting thing than just flying.

Good Luck.

Just a note to tell you guys what I've heard now. It looks like some of the info out there isn't true. Now I've been told there will be cfi interviews -- maybe as soon as next week. As I said before, we just have to wait and see. May be this is just another rumor. Who knows. So back to the books.

If they have interviews next month we'll see if anyone makes the list. My fingers are crossed, even though it means that there will be more people in front of me (sigh).

Back