Instructing without medical

DaveC

I'm probably getting eye surgery in the next few months, and working as a full-time CFI this means some missed work during the time that I don't have a valid medical.

Obviously I won't be able to do primary instruction, but what about instrument? The student can act as PIC as long as we're not in actual and/or on a flight plan, but would I need a medical for them to be under the hood?

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not about to go jump in a plane as an instructor if I can't see well enough to be safe. I'm talking about after my vision's 20/40 or better but I don't have the limitation off my medical yet.

Your student is PIC even when under the hood. Even if you were to act only as a safety pilot, I see nowhere in 91.109 that you are required to have a medical. So, you can be PIC and provide instruction. Then again, I am not yet a CFI...

Your student is PIC even when under the hood. Even if you were to act only as a safety pilot, I see nowhere in 91.109 that you are required to have a medical. So, you can be PIC and provide instruction. Then again, I am not yet a CFI...

Like the FAR said, anytime you are a required CREWMEMBER, you need a medical. Crewmember is the key word here. A safety pilot is a required crewmember.

HOWEVER, you may instruct without a medical in some scenarios as long as you aren't a required crewmember. For example, commercial instruction, BFRs and checkouts are good for this as long as your company is ok with you not having a medical. In some cases, though it is legal, the insurance company may not like it.

Thanks for asking DaveC I was thinking about a similar situation earlier this week but I'm stumped on one thing. What if the student is a PPL (SEL) with an IR going for the multi, does the instructor need his medical still ? or can the SEL student be the PIC in a twin? I would really appreciate if someone could help me out...:(

SEL cannot act as PIC in a MEL. You need an appropriate class rating to act as PIC.

Thanks for the info. I was worried that was the case. Makes sense anyways, don't want a bunch of blind guys looking for traffic. Not many commercial students here, so I guess it's a month of flight reviews after I get the surgery. Fun times...

SEL cannot act as PIC in a MEL. You need an appropriate class rating to act as PIC.

Thanks for the info. I was worried that was the case. Makes sense anyways, don't want a bunch of blind guys looking for traffic. Not many commercial students here, so I guess it's a month of flight reviews after I get the surgery. Fun times...

If you have access to a FTD you can do some instrument instruction while you heal up.

I'm in a similar situation (torn achilles, recovering from surgery) and gotta make some dough since I won't be flying for a while. Getting a coupla instrument guys started in the sim would be perfect.

Back