instrcution time

saviboy

hi guys
Could someone tell me how long it approximately takes for a CFI to get his 135 minimum time(1200 tt..) these days?
I know it depends strongly on the school you are at, but an overview would be interesting.
thanks

Re: instruction time

Yeah, 1-2 years sounds about right. I started instructing full time this past March with 420TT, and should hit my 135 mins. by sometime in the spring (taking into account the nasty winter ahead). But like you said- it'll vary.

My instructor started at my FBO in January of 2002 and he just crossed 1200 last week (July 10th)..... a little over 1.5 years.

OH - and BTW... he got a call from a part 135 carrier THAT DAY to schedule an interview!!(pure luck).
laugh.gif

I started instructing in December of 2001with 345 hours, and hit 1200 in June of 2003. I was instructing in Seattle for the first year, then in Alaska for the next 6 months. I was only averaging around 30 hours a month the past 6 months though. Most of the spring was spent in Ground School.

How did you enjoy Alaska?

I have been thinking of selling everything and moving there!

PM me if you have a chance!

Alaska is nice, I am still up there most of the time. I am flying Beech 1900's for a large 135 company now. I spend most of my off time in Seattle though.

I also average about 65-75 hours per month here at Orange COunty, Calif. But with nowhere to go from here anytime soon, all this time building is just....well.....I don't know.

Thats not bad at all for part time...I've had a couple of months where I've gotten less than that working full time, 7 days a week (which equals lots of time playing solitaire in the office).
smirk.gif

Yea, I think I'm pretty lucky right now. Just crossing my fingers and hoping the gravy train doesn't end!!!

Back