Info for college aviation

kostcoguy

Hey, I am lookin at many different colleges to look at during my junior year in high school and I am having a lot of trouble finding very general things, I was wondering if a few of you guys could help me out.

These are the ones I am considering that have aviation programs:
Embry Riddle
University of Southern Illinois
University of Illinois
Purdue
Western Michigan
Central Missouri State University

Any others would also be welcomed.

I need to know just general things about them such as average high school gpa of an incoming freshman, average SAT scores, what the aviation program is like there, and any other information that would be useful. Thanks in advance.

Kostco

Well, I go to WMU. As far as grades and such, if you get accepted to the university (which really isn't that hard, believe me), then you'll be put into the "pre-flight science" curriculum. During your first year you'll take a bunch of classes that you'll need to get at least a C in before you can move up to the "Flight Science" curriculum and take the next level of aviation classes. My adjusted high school gpa was a 3.9 and best ACT scores combined were a 30 (didn't take the SAT, sorry). I was also accepted to Purdue's program, but for out of state it was just way too pricey. (Also, the Purdue application was real nice, just one page, no essay - it doesn't get any better than that
smile.gif
)

Most people start flying in their third year, you have to apply for flight courses every semester once you start flying. Again, as long as you don't fail classes, you should be fine. If you already have your PPL, you don't have to start from the beginning, but you do have to complete certain lessons.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask, I'm also a Flight Science rep on the College of Aviation student council.

All of those schools are good, however you have to pick a school that you want to go to, and a school that you can afford.Here is a web site that lists all aviation colleges in the U.S. searchable by state.

Collegiate Aviation Programs Searchable By State

You can also buy a book called the Collegiate Aviation guide published by the University Aviation Association. I believe you can buy the book for around 20 dollars. This book has all the info for the school cost, enrollment etc..
You can find the book here

University Aviation Association

Also if you go to a colleges web site you can go to new student, and they will tell you their admission criteria.

Well I went to Riddle in AZ. I got accepted without even trying it seemed like. I had a 3.2 HS GPA and an 1150 on the SAT. The aviation program is great there and I hear it's good at the FL campus too but harder to get a/c because there's more students. Plus the airspace seems to be really crowded over in FL. AZ is a bit better in my opinion flight time wise since they don't have to deal with those pesky hurricanes plus you get REALLY REALLY good landing with a X-wind training believe me.
wink.gif

I started flying there as soon as I finished my written FAA exam which was about 7 weeks into the ground school. Evidently I could've started earlier but my stupid instructor forgot to sign me up and at the time I had no clue I was supposed to remind him. Basically you can fly with them as soon as you get assigned an instructor and you have your medical.

But anyways....Riddle's a little pricey but worth the money so long as you're in the aviation program. I got kicked out by some "machismo-only-men-can-fly-good-instructor/administrator" and I had transferred to STG and then figured why spend so much money at a great aviation school if I'm not in the aviation program?? So I left.

Now I'm in the process of transferring to WMU. I know UND is the next "step-down" so to speak from Riddle but the students and instructors I've talked to that go there seem to be really rude. Probably not all of them I'm sure but every time I call WMU they are so nice and actually KNOW what I want to find out and tell me. So yeah...hope I get accepted.

Hey there sopdan...any suggestions about WMU my friend?? I don't have a PPL yet but about 50 hours under my belt. Need to get a new medical license as well as probably take the written again. Never got around to taking the oral. Ha...never even soloed in fact. Terrible isn't it?

[ QUOTE ]

Hey there sopdan...any suggestions about WMU my friend?? I don't have a PPL yet but about 50 hours under my belt. Need to get a new medical license as well as probably take the written again. Never got around to taking the oral. Ha...never even soloed in fact. Terrible isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't quote me on this, but if you don't have a ppl, they'll probably make you do most of the lessons, but you'll probably move through them quickly. I just soloed with ~15 hours (would have been closer to 12, but b/c of delays I had to fly just to keep current before my prog check, oh well), so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Dan

ps - i wouldn't worry too much about getting accepted if you had a 3.2 in hs and have previous college credit

Dan's exactly right, Western is not exactly the hardest school to get into. I got in with a 2.96 in high school and a 23 on the ACT. I know someone that transfered in from another university with a 2.64 GPA after a year of college, also.

Eh ::shrug:: not REALLY worried about getting accepted. Just that general nervousness. Heck when I *applied* (laughes hysterically) at the local community college I was still a little nervous. Basically if you can pay them they accept you. I dunno...just something I do I guess.

But yeah I kinda figured I'd have to re-take lessons and all. In fact, I figure they'll probably make me take all the lessons over...I wouldn't be surprised. It has been almost 2 whole years since I've flown...I'm SOOO deprived!!!!
frown.gif

Hee hee just found out I was accepted to Western Michigan....and they want to give me about $10,000 a semester in grants and scholarships and another 20 in loans if I want them.
wink.gif

And they said being a woman and trying to become a pilot would be hard....ha ha lol.
grin.gif

Back