Inflight Seperation

cointyro

So here is a recent photo from A.net showing two ANZ 47's flying the same direction. I thought planes flying in opposite directions above FL310 were separated by at least 2,000 feet - and if heading the same direction, then 4,000 feet. This sure doesn't look like 4,000 feet. Am I mistaken?

Link to A.net photo

Do a search on RVSM. In most parts of the world seperation has been reduced to 1000 feet.

By the looks of the shadows on the water it looks as though they are low and most likely being vectored to approach somewhere. Great shot though.

If RVSM is reduced to 1,000 feet - then planes flying in the same direction should still have 2,000 between them. I suppose these could be 2,000 feet apart.

As for the shadows - I see no airplane shadows (only cloud shadows). Judging by the look of the sea, I'd say they are pretty high.

[ QUOTE ]

As for the shadows - I see no airplane shadows (only cloud shadows). Judging by the look of the sea, I'd say they are pretty high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to say the same about the shadows. Great shot though.

No problem at all...I was quite surprised to see them posted on Avsim, much less by the owner. The zoomed in shot where you can see the paint job is pretty incredible.

That might be 2000 feet of separation. If not, it happens... we often get stopped in our climb 1000 feet below the altitude we were intially cleared to for crossing traffic, whether it be same direction, opposite, whatever. When being vectored for an approach, sometimes they do odd things with your altitudes.

Way Cool pics. I was doing a night CC the other night and they put landing traffic within 1000 ft of me. It was a Lear 1000ft above my flight path. Center sounded normal when they gave me the traffic advisory so 1000 ft mut be the required

Back