Inexpensive Twins

JDE

I'm not looking for one, but I am wondering what would be a good, inexpensive twin to own and operate, and would be good for building time. Thanks in advance.

Jason

Yeah, get a six pack of Coors Light...

Oh, I'm sorry, you were speaking about aircraft? My bad.

grin.gif

First off any airplane is NOT inexpensive. ALL twins wil run about 3x the maintenance and hourly costs as a single.

But ...

An Apache or Twin Commanche (both use 160 Lycoming 0-320s .. well later model apaches do anyway as do all the Twin Commanches). This equates to a low fuel burn .. 16.5 GPH (total) in cruise.

You can find a decent Apache for about $50k (probably about $80-100k for the Commanche). The only thing you have to watch out for on the Apache is parts are getting hard to find. Hard to find parts = expensive parts/work-arounds.

As far as the wisdom goes towards building time. I think it's a good idea but it's really up to each person and more importantly, their budget.

I was a part owner in a Twin Comanche for a few years.
We figured our total cost, fixed and operating, at about $120 per hour (based on 150 - 200 hours a year).
I flight planned 155 knots and 15 gph @ 65% power.
Great plane.

Being a poor college student, there is no airplane in my future for quite awhile...however, the six pack of Coors...
smirk.gif

I say Olson, they're loaded so they might pay for the date. Worst case scenario is Dutch Treat.

I've got to admit, when I saw the title of this thread, I was hoping it was referring to the walking, talking variety. The Olsens are a little teeny-bopper for me ... but oh well.

FL270

Anyone want to start the timer to see how fast Iain comes screaming into the thread seeking the Olsen twins reference?
smile.gif

Opened this, thinking of another kind of twins, and at least this hasn't turned into a thread about cows yet.

[ QUOTE ]
Opened this, thinking of another kind of twins, and at least this hasn't turned into a thread about cows yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

No thats for the aviation humor forum
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
worthless.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Man, we could have used you a couple days ago in the "Look, no bra" thread...
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone want to start the timer to see how fast Iain comes screaming into the thread seeking the Olsen twins reference?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

That took 9 hours, 16 minutes Iain. But considering you're on the other side of the world, I'll give you 9 hours credit.

Back