Indiana State University

Kestrel452

I just got accepted into their 4 year program :nana2: and I had a few questions for anyone who has been there.

1. What planes are in their training fleet?
2. Is the airport and campus presentable?
3. Minus the ruralness, is it a nice place to be at all?
4. Are the students there friendly?
5. What kind of flying clubs are there?
6. What simulators are there?
7. How do you get your multi-engine, turboprop, and CFI/CFII/MEI ratings?

Thanks!

I have a stepson going there right now. He's not in aviation so I can't answer any questions about that program, but I can tell you that Bloomington is a very cool college town. Really pretty area (especially for Indiana), lots of activities, and seem to be very friendly people.

You must be thinking of IU, ISU is not in Bloomington. It is in Terre Haute which is west of Indy. Bloomington/UI is south of indy.

I instructed in Indy for awhile, and knew a couple ISU grads.
-My friend flew 172s, Arrows, and a Seminole (for multi-training).
-I know the airport is. Always see F16s flying around there. Never been on campus.
-Terre Haute is nice enough, but not really exciting.
-Everyone I've met from down there has been.
-They've got all that, too. Although, turboprop time usually doesn't happen until after college, unless you know someone or find an internship.

Sorry I don't have more than that.:)

Thanks for the reply! One last question. Is their program comparatively competent to other universities' professional flight programs or is it not so good?

Alumni and current instructor for one of the flight contractors.

1. Depends on where you train? You do all of the ground instruction on campus with ISU. You will then choose one of two flight contractors for flight training. Brown has 150's, 152's, 172's, 172rgs, and a travel air. THAC has 152's, 172's, Arrows, Seminole, and a Super Decathlon. THAC has a newer fleet. Most the aircraft are year 2000 or newer (with exception to the 152's). Brown has an older fleet 60's to 80's models. Both of the schools are Part-61.

2. Campus is really nice and modern but the town is still stuck in 1987. The town is very blue collar type. Used to be a lot of factories here but almost all have closed. There is a mall with some decent chains. Chain restaurants and a few Walmarts. Airport wise it depends on what environment you like. THAC @ HUF is a busy class D airport (although the f-16's are gone now). Brown's at 3i3 is a private owned public use non-controlled.

3. same as above basically^^^ Indy is an hour away if you need more activities.

4. of course people are friendly but there is a rivalry type thing between both of the flight schools. If you live on the pilot floor of the dorms you will make plenty of friends.

5. No flying clubs within the area.

6. Frasca 141, Frasca 142, a Frasca King Air B200 sim ( I had heard it was a level 5 equivlent) The B200 isn't "sim current" so it can't be logged in a logbook.

7. The university program requires you to acquire CFI and CFII to graduate. Both contractors can take you from private to MEI. No one does ATP nor any turbine training. The university was considering purchasing a King Air c90 for students in the king air program to acquire experience and shuttle around university officials. The paper got ahold of the story and the rest of the university threw a fit about it so the idea was dropped.

Any more questions? ask away...

"Gone" gone. Half of the fleet went to ACY the other half went to the desert. The base is now an intelligence base (now reorganized into the 113th Intel wing of the AF) with buildings that "don't exist", although they do...lol. It was rumored that they would switch over to flying UAV's but that doesn't make sense considering it is a busy Class D airport with somewhat busy airspace around? Also was rumored that the base was going to be used as a main staging post for the Muskatatuck Urban Training Center but only one exercise has been done in 2 years (not the every 3 months we were predicted) and we didn't get near the military traffic that was intended.

Most of the time the guard-side of the airport gets a UH-60 or U-21 every month or so and thats about it...More military stuff comes over to the civilian ramp because the FBO has the DOD contract.

I just got accepted into their 4 year program :nana2: and I had a few questions for anyone who has been there.

5. What kind of flying clubs are there?
6. What simulators are there?

Thanks!

Where else have you applied to?

Back