Independent CFI questions?

yep. create an account at paypal.com

Then after your flight, log in enter the customers # and bill 'em. It costs you about .5% for the transaction (or $.05) per $100. It's easy (and if you;ve used ebay, second nature) :)

yep. create an account at paypal.com

Then after your flight, log in enter the customers # and bill 'em. It costs you about .5% for the transaction (or $.05) per $100. It's easy (and if you;ve used ebay, second nature) :)

haha well i have an account... i just must have overlooked the fact i could charge ppl's credit cards lol.. it sux about that fee though..

Yeah, plus $30 a month.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_wp-pro-overview-outside

Might not seem like a lot, but it adds up. You also need to add the Virtual Terminal, so you can take their card and enter it for them.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_vt_hub-outside

Never had to do that in years of transactions over paypal.

The way around it is to have your students set up a paypal account and send you money through it. I do it all the time.

Never had to do that in years of transactions over paypal.

The way around it is to have your students set up a paypal account and send you money through it. I do it all the time.

and this can be done with a credit card too? like they can pay with a credit card? i know they can do debit or whatever.. but.. ya....

and this can be done with a credit card too? like they can pay with a credit card? i know they can do debit or whatever.. but.. ya....

I have done this with my FI before also...check out my website I have it set up the same way.

Thanks all for the great ideas for independent CFI's. I took my CFI checkride in May and II in October of this year. I have been doing some instruction in a club that I have been a member of for a number of years. As somone with a full time job that I do not intend to leave, it has been hard to get to the level of instruction that I would like to have.

I have looked for ideas of how I can get my business to grow, but have not found much. Thanks for the ideas!

I think the main thing you have to think about, since it seems that most CFI's tend not to make an incredible living on wages, is why there aren't CFI's already there and teaching at the airport? Fact that you said there are two, but if they aren't CFI'ing anymore, then there may be a good reason for it. If people in the area are barely able to keep food on their table, I don't think you will find many of them willing to fork out (no pun intended) $120/hour on renting an aircraft then pay you $40-$60/hour on top of that.

As most start up businesses are inclined to do, do your homework and find out if there is a market in that area for prospective students. After all is said and done, if you go about it the way you seem to be on the path to do, then you might simply be washing and waxing planes as a full time job after you finish up with the two or three people in the area that either have the means to flight train or are willing to fly.

As a small business owner myself, I made sure I took the time to find out what kind of market, for what I do, was in the area before even venturing into the business owner realm.

I will say this, being your own boss is fantastic. But I have had many sleepless nights wondering when the next job was going to come in. So my advice is as most have said already, find what teaching material you are most comfortable with and keep that in the back of your mind for when you do have a student to train. If they've studied something different, then pick up the books yourself and peruse them prior to instruction. Although the wording may different and the pictures may be as well, flying an airplane is essentially the same no matter what book you read.

The last thing I would advise is to be honest with your prospective students. Let them know that you are just starting this endeavor and that it is a learning process for you too. Be sure to not out price your location. If people are struggling to survive there, then you probably shouldn't be charging $60 for private pilot lessons or sport pilot lessons.

Good luck to you.

Only to add or reiterate a few things. In no particular order:
1. Provide quality instruction. Don't be the one who only wants to just fly the airplane, teach them ground as well. There is as much to flying prior to hopping in an airplane as there is in the airplane. It's the old "Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance." If you look at most accidents, they started before the pilot even got in the airplane. Lack of understanding of weather, performance, aerodynamics.
2. Charge as much for ground as you do for flying. Flight training is easy. I spend far more time preparing for ground- finding good read ahead material for the students, good websites, etc. If you are really doing your job, you should feel very comfortable doing this. I've never had a student complain about what I charge for ground. I've had students come to me from CFIs who don't charge for ground so they can get quality instruction. Frankly, as an independent CFI you should not be logging more than 4 hours a day on a regular basis. If you are, you are probably skipping the ground and not really teaching your students.
3. Make sure your students are prepared and organized for their check rides. I have mine prepared as if they are giving a business presentation or military mission brief. A folder with their medical on top; then the 8710 (if the DE still uses them); then the take off data card (W&B, performance); then the flight plan; then the flight log; then the weather. All the weather charts from the PTS. Make sure the aircraft logs are tabbed with the correct maintenance so the student is not fumbling for it. Other CFIs will have other tips. Bottom line, the DEs will become one of your best references. If your students are prepared and the DE comments on a regular basis that your checkrides are "easy", he/she will probably refer new students to you.
4. Use a syllabus. Which ever one you decide upon. Modify it if it is off the shelf. For example, I add courses and quizzes from the AOPA ASF for certain phases (eg Mountain Flying Course prior to performance planning). I add websites. Some parts we go to the hanger as well and look at airplanes that are being worked on. They can see the mags, the prop control, the alternator/generator, vacuum pump, etc. The big thing is to come prepared.
5. Be prepared to turn students away. Better to have a few students and give them quality instruction rather than many students but be more concerned about flight time.

Even in a slow economy, in a part of the country where there is not much flying, I have a 2 month waiting list for students.

Thanks all for the great ideas for independent CFI's. I took my CFI checkride in May and II in October of this year. I have been doing some instruction in a club that I have been a member of for a number of years. As somone with a full time job that I do not intend to leave, it has been hard to get to the level of instruction that I would like to have.

I have looked for ideas of how I can get my business to grow, but have not found much. Thanks for the ideas!

A good way is to make yourself avaliable to as many clubs, schools, and partnerships as you can, even if it involves some coin on your part. If that also involves some labor intensive scheduling and some driving each day then those are the cards I'm afraid.

The hardest thing about being an independent is credibility and name recognition. After all, its very hard to compete with established names like American Flyers, ATP, Skymates, etc.

However, if you want to get the business you absolutely MUST get your face out there and sell yourself as an "Authority", provide GREAT customer service, and product differentiation. What can you provide that big name and local area schools can't?

Also, specialize in some aspect of flight training, be it Private, Instrument, Multi, G-1000 training, or a particular high performance aircraft, and people will seek you out eventually.

Find out what people in your local (30 mile radius or less) are primarily interested in, and then get your name, face, cards, website, emails, postcards, and flyers in grocery stores out in to the public. The hardest part of marketing is breaking in to the scene, after that first push, word of mouth should take over if your customers are happy.

If you need some additional advice PM me and I'll give you my number. That goes for anyone here as well.

Back