Independence Air Update

davetheflyer

Target date for launch of Independence Air with CRJ service is May 1. Plans call for an ad campaign to start 60 days prior to beginning service, and possibly earlier in the DC area.

We are still under contract with UAL, so we will probably be flying IA and UEX together for a while, possibly as long as 5-6 months.

UAL recently announced plans for a new IAD commuter terminal to be completed in 2005. This should give Mesa, or whoever replaces ACA, the gate space to run the Express hub.

Delta also recently announced "strategic planning" and told us that they might be closing our FRJ pilot base in BOS. If so, these aircraft and crews would relocate to CVG. No date has been set for the move.

The company brass has indicated that they expect DALPA to file for a temporary injunction to prohibit us from flying for DAL when the Airbuses arrive. There is some speculation (hope) that we can keep the DCI side in business though.

Airbus deliveries are tentatively scheduled to start around Labor Day. We plan to take 4-5 aircraft in 2004. The 'busses will come equipped with Direct TV screens 1" larger than Jetblue's (size matters?), and we are considering pay-per-view movies, XM radio, and Wi-Fi.

I can't see how we're the evil empire, but the reason for the rule is so the company doesn't start farming out our narrowbody flying to other airlines.

Both companies knew in advance that it would be a contractural violation to codeshare with a company flying jets larger than 70 seats and has NOT approached us about issuing a waiver for the operation. It's been planned for almost a year and not a peep.

I'm sure they'd rather wait until the operation starts and then spin Delta pilots into being the bad guys yet again.

Lots of profit in that.

Doug you know like the rest of at Delta that they make decisions or allow things to be done that are not right or in violation of you ALPA contract. As usual they will do something stupid and then ask the pilots to approve it and act like they are very sorry. It seems that this would have already been addressed with the pilots by now since ACA had let everyone know their intentions months ago..but hey Leo wasnt worried about that he wanted to keep the management team together...plus he knew he was getting his money...

Tim, terminal A starbucks on me next month. Even buy you a venti!
smile.gif

Doug, I can't blame you guys for protecting your scope.

I have heard that their is some question as to whether the scope would apply in this case since the Airbuses would not be flown in support of Delta. That's probably one for the lawyers to figure out.

Also, since you guys are in talks with the company already, there is some hope that a settlement could be negotiated. Our contract with Delta specifies that if Delta cancels the contract, then they assume the leases on the FRJs. It could be an expensive proposition. Rumors have the FRJs being placed with virtually every DCI carrier, most recently Skyway.

Personally, I'm hoping that a solution can be found. We aren't planning any more furloughs, but if we lose the FRJ fleet, that might change. Of course, that would depend on the rate of growth for IA as well. There are still a lot of variables at this point.

Doug I'll take you up on Starbucks..Let me know you when your passing through and I will also, if you time allows, score you a ride on the Supertug.

[ QUOTE ]
Our contract with Delta specifies that if Delta cancels the contract, then they assume the leases on the FRJs. It could be an expensive proposition. Rumors have the FRJs being placed with virtually every DCI carrier, most recently Skyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hearing that a deal has already been completed with Bombardier to take the FRJs in trade of CRJs. Which DCI carrier will get the new aircraft, I don't know. Since DAL would be paying for it, I can only assume it would be Comair or ASA.

Back