Incorporating for Freelance Instruction?

Liability for C and S corp's are limited to the shareholders investment in the company. .
Not for a tort committed by the shareholder. Period.

Shareholder in C or S Corp drives a car on company business and causes an accident. Shareholder is personally liable for that accident. And a CFI-shareholder in a C or S corp who is personally involved in a student mishap has personal exposure.

As I said earlier
In terms of liability protection in case of a student accident or something, a corporation, LLC or any other from of entity that provides limited liability protection will not protect you or your assets even a teeny weenie bit.

This is easily the single most misunderstood concept by people about these entities.

Care to elaborate?
In general, one of the differences between the various forms of legal entities (C corp, S corp, LLC, partnership, sole proprietorship) is tax treatment. In simple (simplistic) terms, that comes down to whether (a) the company is taxed separately from the people owning it or (b) only the owners are taxed.

There is no best method that applies to everyone. The whole reason for their being C corps (taxed like (a)), S corps (taxed like (b)) and LLCs (options for both ways) is to give business tax advisors options to find the best way to do it for their clients, given their client's specific situation.

If Ennis is suggesting there is a uniform rule for this, I'll disagree.

For me, I (assume) that the personal tax rate will be the lowest possible for the next few years.

Definitely worth talking to some professionals about...

Back