Incoming ERAU Student with Comm.Single/Multi looking to split time or build w/others

Pretty Interesting,

The duchess at Epic I belive is $169 p/hr solo, they are saying it is very nice, especially because of the electronic HSI, yes I have checked with them about renting the airplane out, and they do not do it. The twin in spruce creek sounds interesting, but right now i only have 15 hours of multi hours too, I might know someone who can do it, he is a MEI up at Ormond Beach, but he has not returned my call. The trip sounds really interesting, but finding that person for the insurance sounds like the challenge. There are some other places that I have heard about for building twin time. Over at Falcon flight center at DAB, i have heard that the Duchess is $149 p/hr, they also have a time build of 50hr for $3500.75 per pilot ( 2 people min.) and 100hrs for $7000 per pilot (2 people min). There are a few more places that have twins at other rates, but I'm pretty sure they don't have any time building programs.

Epic airplanes are the nicest planes that I have flown by far, and at the most reasonable rates I have seen. The 172SP's last I have heard, still do not have the uplink for the WX features. I flew on 10/12/03 with one of the newer SP's, and it was not working on my flight.

If you are interested in splitting up some flight time over at epic, that would be good, and we can still look around for info on renting twins.

Like I said previously, I am checked out in a Duchess that rents for 125 an hour and a Seneca that rents for 145 an hour. They are both on the field at Daytona. If you want to split some time, I'm up for that. If you have hours and you're checked out in these aircraft, you can rent them on your own.

Send me a PM if you want the details.

Does anyone know of a multi that can be rented for a long x-country lets say 20 hrs or so that is relativily cheap to a low hour low multi time pilot. I have 220 17multi. I have found a few places to rent but I don't meet the min time for insurance. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Where you at? At PRC you can go across the street to North Aire and rent their Turbo Seminole for $195/hr. I checked out on it with something like 140TT/17 Multi. Their insurance restricted me to VFR day until I had my instrument rating, but now that I have that, they let me do whatever I want with it with 200TT/56 Multi...not a bad deal.

I am in Daytona Beach but that would be perfect. Some of the places around here have min hour requirements like 350 50 with 10 in type. It is rediculous. There are some others around but most want more time in the multi before they will let me take out by myself. It is understanding but sucks for us low time pilots trying to gain the time without paying the extra cash for the instructor.

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the places around here have min hour requirements like 350 50 with 10 in type. It is rediculous. There are some others around but most want more time in the multi before they will let me take out by myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you ever stop to think there might be a VERY good reason for these "high" requirements???

Q: Whats more dangerous than a low time pilot losing an engine in a single?

A: A low time pilot losing an engine in a twin.

When I ran the flight school where I used to work, our CFI's typically had about 1,000 TT before they were teaching in the Duchess.

Do you think these companies are turning away your business because they feel like it? They are turning it away because you are viewed as way too high of a risk, even to a business that is in the business of high risk (Flight Instructing). With 17 hours of multi-time I wouldn't let you fly my twin either.

Well if you would like to get into specifics, I did a study while in my safety class that was on pilots with low hours vs pilots with many hours and there is as much if not more risk with pilots with hours vs. low time pilots due to the fact that the knowledge they know is fresh on there minds and have practiced an engine loss over and over and over again where a high time pilot may fly it a lot more but is not as up to date on the procedures for an engine failure. That is like pilots flying IFR if they have 1000 hours in IMC but haven't done it in 2 yrs other than to get current and then go into IMC they are not as up to date on the procedures that a recently certified IFR pilot is. I understand the whole experience issues and I am not saying someone that owns a plane but I believe if they are renting out a plane the risk is virtually the same. I believe I would be more qualified with my 17 hours vs someone with a 100 that hasn't flown in a year. However, I guess that has nothing to do with it. I understand both sides of the spectrum but I just don't like the fact that I am on this side of it.

Just remember, there is no substitute for experience. At 17 hours of multi-time you have just enough experience/knowledge to make you dangerous (no offense, just speaking as a very experienced CFI/I/ME)

Seriously. I felt odd flying a twin around solo when I only had 17 multi hours and a shiny new multi ticket. Heck, I have 56 now, and while I do feel a bit more comfortable, I'm still very wet behind the ears.

The ONLY reason they let me take that Turbo Seminole out was that they wanted the business, and I just happened to meet the insurance requirements. I'll bet you top dollar that they felt pretty iffy about a 17 hour multi pilot flying that thing around.

Any new students coming to Riddle for the spring semester or anyone else in the area still around still interested in flying?

I'm up for it. I have to drive to Daytona on Tues to take mid terms (yech), and it's not really that bad of a drive from Orlando. I have to get my 250 for the commercial rating, anyway.

Tuesday actually sounds really good.
I'm driving back to FL from NC on Sunday, hopefully I'll make it back at decent time to get checked in and somewhat moved back in. After that I just have to get some books and make sure my classes are straight that start on the 7th. PM me if you would like to try to fly after your tests if your schedule permits, or if you have any other thoughts on flying. Right now I'm flying C172SP's & R's out of New Smryna, and I'm working on a Seminole in OMN.

Anybody around the Daytona area for Summer and want to fly?

I'm checked out to fly a light twin solo nearby and can fly many different single engine aircraft around local DAB airports. I'm up for any type of flying. Instrument currency, cross-country, etc.

I am all for it!
I am coming in in the fall and I have my private, multi, and instrument. Although I'm timebuilding this summer at Ari Ben, but I wouldn't mind racking up some more hours during the fall. I'm going to be in DAB btw.

Cool.
I was actually considering Ari-Bren for awhile.
But the timing and location hasn't worked out for me.
I can rent a Seminole solo from a nearby school, and from a very large selection of 172's & SP's, along with a C152. I was considering doing a time build in a Duchess nearby. What do think about the airplane? Duchess will be new to me if thats the way I go. My multi-time is mixed in with Cessna 310, King Air, and Piper Seminole's.

Back