IMC above FL410

NJA_Capt

A funny thing about aviation. You spend the first few years as a pilot trying to GET actual (IMC) instrument time. Then spend the rest of your career trying to stay OUT of it.

A lot of you guys ask about life above 10,000 feet, so here is a little tale.

Today, we were flying down Q100 between HOU and MIA. We knew there would be some big TRWs out there and would have to do some deviating. So, we climbed as soon as possible to FL410 to get a look at the weather. We soon discovered that wasn't going to do it.

FL450, worked for a while. Then up to FL470. It is an odd site to look up at a thunder storm (OK... A LOT of thunder storms) from 47,000 feet. For a while we were actually between layers at FL470, now there's something you don't see every day.

For those that are interested. We were still climbing at 1300 fpm all the way to FL470 at .88 mach.

Boy, is there some bad stuff heading for South Florida.

Holy Cow - you guys have a X that didn't break down?!?!?!?!?!?!?! (Every charter trip I've flown in the Challenger for the past 2 months has been to cover a NJA X) Anyway - yeah I saw that weather on The Weather Channel - glad I'm sitting comfortably at home today!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason

Must have been one heck of site up that high and still looking up at the thunderboomers.

NJA,

I dunno if you have any info about this, but do you know what kind of time/fuel savings the Q routes give you biz jet guys as opposed to the old routes across the Gulf? Just curious.

and the RAT was what at 470? unreal that the moisture can still be so active that high. and not one big hunk of ice.

[ QUOTE ]
Holy Cow - you guys have a X that didn't break down?!?!?!?!?!?!?! (Every charter trip I've flown in the Challenger for the past 2 months has been to cover a NJA X)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for towing the line for us
wink.gif

With 67 of them, a few are bound to break down. Another reason you may only fly X trips, is we will not downgrade an owner. If it breaks we'll find a larger plane for them.

Not sure, but we were only burning about 880#s per side though. It was kind of warm though. Around ISA+15.

[ QUOTE ]
For those that are interested. We were still climbing at 1300 fpm all the way to FL470 at .88 mach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very impressive machine!
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any turbulence that high?

[/ QUOTE ]
Believe it or not, yes. It's usually pretty nice, however, it can be just like any other flight level. Sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's not.

When I flew to LA last week, I got to see some thunderstorms that we diverted around at night. That was the coolest thing! The lightning flashes totally took my mind off of Kate Hudson (and I still cannot believe I watched the entire movie).

Back