I'm so worried with all the mental disorders!

ktsai91

Hey, I'm back. I've keep worrying that I won't pass the medical exam because I have depression, OCD, ADD, and PDD (a social disorder where I have trouble making and interacting with friends). Even though I feel much better than last time, I'm still on medications, and my psychiatrist says that I won't start tapering off all the medications until 6 months later which stinks. Anyone can help me on this please? I want to get a medical certificate so I can fly. I'm so worried that my dreams of flying will be ruined forever just because I have those mental disorders! What should I do? I'm 17 by the way.

I'm so worried that my dreams of flying will be ruined forever just because I have those mental disorders! What should I do?

"Kill the motor dude"

You need to get yourself in good shape before you even think about flying. Obsessing about getting your medical ASAP is a clue that you still have a lot of work to do. Take a year, work with your Docs and wean your way of those drugs. Focus on getting into a college and doing well there.

Aviation will still be here, and you'll be much better prepared to excell as a Pilot. You don't have to get your PPL before you turn 18. Many pilots here didn't even start flying before they were in their 30s.

BTW, I had ADD as a kid. I had to force myself to become much more disiplined about studying in order to get where I am. So have many of the other pilots on this board. I'm also a loner. I don't have many freinds, and can never keep track of them when I move away.

These things are not showstoppers, but you will have to get controll of them.

you could also look into getting your sport pilot license if your docs think it'll be detrimental for you to come off of your meds (I think so at least)

I'm sorry that you have this, but you're going to have a long up hill battle. So you might have to save up a lot of money to pay off test if the FAA want to see if you are fit or not. If you just have depression that shouldn't be too bad, but you have three other mental disorders. Flying isn't going anywhere and you shouldn't go wasting your money, when you can't qualify. So take your time and get better first.

Back