$110,820/yr

9. Chief Executives
$51.77/hr
$107,670/yr

10. Airline pilots, copilots and flight engineers
(N/A)
$99,400/yr

Re: I\'m not making that much

I'd take these payscales with a grain of salt.

[ QUOTE ]
. Chief Executives
$51.77/hr
$107,670/yr

[/ QUOTE ]

Chief Executive of what?

[ QUOTE ]
10. Airline pilots, copilots and flight engineers
(N/A)
$99,400/yr

[/ QUOTE ]

What airline? Major, Regional, Cargo, scheduled, On-demand charter, foreign or domestic..etc?

I'd wager they are averages across the board of the given field.

Although I'd be leary of the "Cheif Executives" category as well.

It's interesting that doctors take up eight of the top ten slots, however.

Yes it is interesting. I think that their salaries are steadily falling as the insurance profession and the legal profession kill the medical profession. HMO's and malpractice are taking their toll on the quality of care out there these days.

Insurance and lawyers are killing every profession/field!

Do you know that their are older model C-310s that are completely uninsurable! Been in a new C-172? Do we really need a placard that tells us "improper use/handling of the aircraft could result in serious injury or death?" Or, for that matter, 13 sumps?

Granted lawyers do a lot of goo, too. But insurance carriers are, any more, not much more than legalized extortion.

They know its a gamble to get into the insurance business then when a major accident or disaster happens they cry like they didn't know it was a possibility.

grrrrrr ... don't get me started on insurance
grin.gif

Mostly, insurance companies are raising premiums because of the bad economy. When we all pay premiums, they take that pool of money and sink a certain percentage of it in a variety of investments. When the economy and the markets go south, they have to make up those losses somehow because they are profit-based companies. So, what do they do? Raise premiums.

Insurance companies aren't paying any more in claims & lawsuits than they did 15 years ago (adjusted for change in premium revenues). However, they need to make a profit and show growth, like any other business. Rates will stabilize when the economy improves.

Well, whatever reason they claim, the end result is insurance - at least in the aviation game - is closing a lot of businesses. We had a long-time engine shop at our field just close its doors because their new premuims were going to be more than they made GROSS the previous year.

If this keeps up there won't be anything left to insure.

Yeah, I agree it's bad - and I am an attorney doing work for insurance companies.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I agree it's bad - and I am an attorney doing work for insurance companies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I'd hate to be you!
grin.gif

Just kidding!

It's not a bad gig. I defend small/medium sized businesses against lawsuits. The insurance companies hire my firm, but our clients are the businesses themselves. You get an inside look at how the system really works in this country.

My salary wouldn't even come close to making the above list, but it pays the flying bills.
laugh.gif

Salary.com shows flite instructors in the Chicago area average $80,909, and Airframe Mechanics make $38,851 median. Kinda makes ya wonder to whom they speak.

[ QUOTE ]
Salary.com shows flite instructors in the Chicago area average $80,909

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, for that kind of pay, I'd be happy instructing for a long time to come!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Salary.com shows flite instructors in the Chicago area average $80,909, and Airframe Mechanics make $38,851 median. Kinda makes ya wonder to whom they speak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be willing to bet that they're counting major airlines simulator instructors in those totals. Kinda raises the averages, doesn't it?
smirk.gif

I'd have to say those numbers are total crap. I've had family in the medical industry forever and I've never known or even heard of a surgeon making as little as 137,000/year(except residents). I know of surgeons making 7 figures/year. Furthermore, I know that executives at large corporations are taking home 7 figures as well. I'm sure the article was accurate as far as the doctors occupying the top several spots. But beyond that, I think the numbers are VERY low...Except the pilots salaries of course
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but how much do flight instructors make?
cool.gif

Residents in surgery don't make over 100,000 anywhere. Around 40,000. A gen. surg. at at HMO may make those lower numbers. Upon graduation a sought after surg. specialty (neuro, cardiac) can make 500,000 easy with their malpractice taken care of. However that's undergrad, 4 years med. school (more $ than ATP+FSA+DA), and 6 years of residency (depending on specialty). Their work week (residents nationwide) finally has been capped to 80 hours.

I work with anesthesiology residents of whom six just graduated. They have job offers all over the country, TONS of time off, most have their malpractice picked up by hospitals, and average 175k ish.

farwellbooth is correct. Residents, including surgery, will cap at around $48,000/year here in Atlanta, in year 6. That may not seem all that bad, but that's working 80 hours a week. That comes to $11.54/hr. They set these up like pledgeships and what residents and interns are put through is just shy of hazing. But once you put in the time, you will make excellent money by year 8.

you think a 1st year F/O at a regional have a tough schedule with low pay? You bet. But take a walk in the shoes of a 1st year ortho resident at Grady hospital in Atlanta. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Well maybe a couple.

Now wait a minute...if you are going to compare apples to apples, you have to compare a residency with the equivilant in flying. I tend to think they are equally bad. I can understand working 80 hours a week in a hospital, but I can also understand living at the airport waiting for your next student or risking your life to try to drag a big sail on a hook behind an old crappy plane or starring at the ground for mind numming hours of flying pipeline. I'm just saying that there a alot of tough roads, but that's exactly why they end up where they do (at the top).

Never said the flying life isn't tough. Matter of fact, I said it was. My point was that after 8 years of higher learning (college & med school) at a cost of around $200,000, doctors don't make the jack everyone seems to think they do. It takes years to make a good living. Just like flying.

I admit the flying job is a stressful work environment, but so is a sleep deprived resident in a trauma department who sees 10-15 patients an hour whose lives depend on a split second decision.

Back