I'm new here...

AlphaRomeoCharlie

I had a recent recommendation from a friend and colleague to make an account, just wanted to make an introduction and say hello! I'm currently a CFI/CFII coming up on 1000 hrs and teaching people how to fly a fancy lawnmower with wings as much as I can. This is a career change for me from something totally different- I think all for the better. I realize I'm still bright eyed and bushy tailed on a lot of this stuff and I'm not sure what's next, but so far so good!

Hello all from AlphaRomeoCharlie

I had a recent recommendation from a friend and colleague to make an account, just wanted to make an introduction and say hello! I'm currently a CFI/CFII coming up on 1000 hrs and teaching people how to fly a fancy lawnmower with wings as much as I can. This is a career change for me from something totally different- I think all for the better. I realize I'm still bright eyed and bushy tailed on a lot of this stuff and I'm not sure what's next, but so far so good!

Hello all from AlphaRomeoCharlie

Fancy lawnmower with wings = LSA?

Well the decision has many variables and options to consider. You came to the right place. We’ll argue about anything around here.
Great! I agree, there are way too many variables- I'm open to any and all input. I know ultimately it's a decision for me to make, but I'd love to hear any input/opinions. There are pro's and con's to all aspects of the industry. argue away! I have a contract with my employer through the end of 2022 as a flight instructor, but I will be at my minimums well before the contract is up. I'm conflicted as I have never burnt a bridge to my knowledge, but I'd like to keep in mind my own best interests

Great! I agree, there are way too many variables- I'm open to any and all input. I know ultimately it's a decision for me to make, but I'd love to hear any input/opinions. There are pro's and con's to all aspects of the industry. argue away! I have a contract with my employer through the end of 2022 as a flight instructor, but I will be at my minimums well before the contract is up. I'm conflicted as I have never burnt a bridge to my knowledge, but I'd like to keep in mind my own best interests
Welcome!

I burned a bridge once and it bit me in the butt. But I made the best decision at the time with what was presented to me. No regrets. And I overcame it. Had a verbal agreement to stay a year but others hired after me were not asked to do this. Also, the boss was a total a hole. I'd say if you could get a class date at a regional, burn away. We have had quite a few discussions on employment contracts over the years. Should all be available with a search.

giphy.gif

Seniority is everything.

Everything.

I mean, everything.

Your whole career will be defined by your number, and in the 121 world it's a numbers game. Timing and statistics will define how your career progresses. And it'll be fun. It'll have it's ups and downs. Pun intended.

Upgrade, vacation, trips, QOL... all seniority.

Having a plan to get to that final job - at a legacy, LCC, ULCC, wherever you would like to work - and following it is a good thing. Having an exit strategy once you have the minimums to move on to the next step in your career is an ok thing. It's not burning a bridge.

Go to the airlines as soon as you can.

My whole career path literally came down to a couple of class dates. It started the trajectory that landed me where I am today. Slight deviations from about (I'd say) 10 very distinct career decisions and I would be in a completely different place right now.

Age is a factor too, if you were to say tell us a story about doing studio work with Flo and Eddie you will probably be having a different career than someone who laid down some tracks for... someone who is on the current charts. I don't know current pop acts. (Age=seniority progression from now till mandatory retirement at 65.)

And welcome... this is a great site.

Back