I'm Lost

ATCJefe

OK. So, I've been cruising the forums for about an hour an half now and have definitely found some useful information. However, I seem to be a little confused. This may have to do with the fact that I may be taking a different path to the FAA (I think) than most of the people posting on this site.

I am currently an air traffic controller in the navy. I have some air traffic control experience in a VFR tower facility, although I did not receive my CTO (I am definitely trainable, it just wasn't in the cards for me to get all the way through due to low traffic volume and higher ranking personnel transferring in and taking my training slots before I transfered to a sea based ATC command). At sea, I attained a shipboard ATC supervisory position and did some FARP controlling in the Middle East.

I have submitted 4 applications on the ASAP website so far, the first one in Sept 08. I have not seen anything on the ASAP resembling "PUBNAT", I have been applying to job announcements with announcement numbers such as "AAC-AMH-09-VRA-TR-11568" am I even applying in the right place? Is this because I am prior military and working a different application route? Or am I just reading way too far in to this and just stressing out unnecessarily?

Also, I am about 3 months out from the end of my contract with the military. I was hoping to have a hit from the FAA and possibly start attending the schoolhouse in OKC by that time while I am on terminal leave. Is this a possibility? Or is that too optimistic?

One last thing: I have a few specific towers that i would like to work at. In the application it asks you to list preferences by state. Is there a way to request a specific facility? My buddy who just attended the schoolhouse gave me a number to a girl who works in placements, but I don't want to call and look like an idiot while my application is sitting on her desk. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The majority of the posters on here are a combo of off the street, CTI based, and ex-military. Some are just plain "Off the Street" or OTS, others are CTI based but looking to get into the FAA sooner with applying OTS. The PUBNAT series is solely intended for anyone to apply (CTI, military, and non-CTI alike) OTS. This is the FAA's "reactive" strategy to staff the floundering system asap.

I have not seen a PUBNAT posting on USAJobs since the 6th installment of the applications, but that doesn't mean there won't be more, it may just take some time for them to post a new one, considering they have waaaay more trainees than classrooms. But as far as I am aware, they are and still will be hurting for controllers for some time.

As for the VRA appointments, I believe you have to be certified on a position, but *Im not sure*. There are more ppl on here who have better knowledge about the VRA stuff than I do.

I do know that as an ex-military person, you get a few extra bonus points added into the FAA's equation of how they pick the folks to where they go.

Now if you are eligible to apply under the VRA postings, I have no clue as if you can choose a specific facility.

Good luck!

zz :)

OH! I almost forgot!

welcome_15.gif

OK. So, I've been cruising the forums for about an hour an half now and have definitely found some useful information. However, I seem to be a little confused. This may have to do with the fact that I may be taking a different path to the FAA (I think) than most of the people posting on this site.

I am currently an air traffic controller in the navy. I have some air traffic control experience in a VFR tower facility, although I did not receive my CTO (I am definitely trainable, it just wasn't in the cards for me to get all the way through due to low traffic volume and higher ranking personnel transferring in and taking my training slots before I transfered to a sea based ATC command). At sea, I attained a shipboard ATC supervisory position and did some FARP controlling in the Middle East.

I have submitted 4 applications on the ASAP website so far, the first one in Sept 08. I have not seen anything on the ASAP resembling "PUBNAT", I have been applying to job announcements with announcement numbers such as "AAC-AMH-09-VRA-TR-11568" am I even applying in the right place? Is this because I am prior military and working a different application route? Or am I just reading way too far in to this and just stressing out unnecessarily?

Also, I am about 3 months out from the end of my contract with the military. I was hoping to have a hit from the FAA and possibly start attending the schoolhouse in OKC by that time while I am on terminal leave. Is this a possibility? Or is that too optimistic?

One last thing: I have a few specific towers that i would like to work at. In the application it asks you to list preferences by state. Is there a way to request a specific facility? My buddy who just attended the schoolhouse gave me a number to a girl who works in placements, but I don't want to call and look like an idiot while my application is sitting on her desk. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Without a doubt, you have to have a CTO with 52 weeks of consecutive tower time to be hired under a VA announcement or have an approach rating. You have what the FAA considers "none qualifying ATC experience." You have to apply under a public announcement in order to be considered. I'm currently at the Academy and was in the same boat as you until I got hired under the public announcement.

Thanks for all the info, y'all. I guess what I'm really trying to ask is, am I actually applying in the right spot or do I need to wait for an actual PUBNAT on USAJobs? What are the "applications" that I have been submitting?

Oh, and thanks for the welcome Boomer. However, I'm afraid we may never be friends....Wreck 'Em Tech!! I know, I know...I'm sure I just started a fight I can never win...

ncessna, SAT is actually one of the towers that I would like to work at. I see that is where you are "located" at. Is that the facility you actually work at or just where you're from?

Thanks for all the info, y'all. I guess what I'm really trying to ask is, am I actually applying in the right spot or do I need to wait for an actual PUBNAT on USAJobs? What are the "applications" that I have been submitting?

Yes, look for job postings on USAJOBS. Hit the apply button then you will be redirected to the FAA.

Vacancy Ann.#: AAC-AMH-09-VRA-TR-11568 is for miltary controllers that have 52 weeks of qualifying ATC experince only.

Vacancy Ann.#: AAC-AMH-09-RMC-11811 is only for retired military controllers

Vacancy Ann.#: AAC-AMH-09-CTO-11765 is for individuals with CTOs only.

See the pattern...

ncessna, SAT is actually one of the towers that I would like to work at. I see that is where you are "located" at. Is that the facility you actually work at or just where you're from?

I'm from San Antonio. I wanted SAT however, when I went for my interview I was offered El Paso take it or leave it. I took it and then networked my way to Austin Tracon. I'm currently at the FAA Academy. You don't get to choose your facility. However, its who you know not what you know.

and ummmm *clears throat* who do I need to "know" in order to make things happen? (name dropping definitely ok)

You are getting way ahead of yourself. You need to worry about getting a good score on the AT-SAT. You need at least a 85. Go buy the study book and put in your application and go from there. Unless your dad is some FAA manager, there is no way to network your place of choice without first getting your foot at least somewhere near the door. Feel free to PM me any questions or help you need. It's going to take about a year for you to get hired if you get the ball rolling now. The process is that slow and no way around it. One more thing, you must be on terminal leave or out of the military to apply.

ATCJefe,

PUBNAT7 opened today and closes the 16th. Fill out an application on the FAA ASAP site.

Chris

You are getting way ahead of yourself. You need to worry about getting a good score on the AT-SAT. You need at least a 85. Go buy the study book and put in your application and go from there. Unless your dad is some FAA manager, there is no way to network your place of choice without first getting your foot at least somewhere near the door. Feel free to PM me any questions or help you need. It's going to take about a year for you to get hired if you get the ball rolling now. The process is that slow and no way around it. One more thing, you must be on terminal leave or out of the military to apply.

Did you get to meet Tom in SA? :rawk:

Back