I'm in Computer Hell!!!

Re: I\'m in Computer Hell!!!

Yea its getting pretty bad, recived an e-mail about it today from microsoft, my brother has it and he said hes pretty screwed, owe well...hopefully those of youthathave can get it off you're machines.

Yea its getting pretty bad, recived an e-mail about it today from microsoft, my brother has it and he said hes pretty screwed, owe well...hopefully those of you that have it can get it off you're machines.

I have heard about this virus, my friend's dad was attempting to rid a company's mainframe of it (he's a techy for a company, fixes computers all day). I am using Win XP and a router, no aftermarket firewall (just the one on XP), no virus scanner (cheap parents). Can somebody tell my how I can find how many hits or whatever on my ports I have gotten?

has anyone heard of how this virus or worm or whatever got out into the world?

considering it's a worm that MAKES you update your windows XP... and i bet it's probably making a lot of people BUY windows XP...

i wouldn't doubt it if microsoft itself created the worm to give them some press time!!

go ahead - call me a conspiracy theorist... but there's two things out there that are really kinda weird right now...

1) this thing... how it got out there and how it's making the microsoft name pop up over and over again...now - everyone has to update or be hacked... weird!!

2) gas pipeline is down in arizona here (temporarily they say) but they've known about it since July 30th (has been leaking in a new subdivision area in tucson since then they say)... and yet, they're just now fixing it.. gas prices are rising all over the place here (at least a good 40 cents higher so far) - gas stations running out of gas and low and behold???? - labor day weekend is right around the corner... hmmmm... a set up possibly? say it isn't so!!! haha

one would wonder - why have they waited so long to fix the pipe and why is it still leaking in tucson???? hmmmmmm.....cant imagine that it would take over 2 weeks to get emergency/overnight parts in (unless it wasn't an emergency and they're just waiting for a holiday and some environmentalists to pop in on them?)

funny thing is that the gas station managers/people are saying that they're raising their prices to try and squelch demand - only thing... you can't squelch demand for gas because we're so dependent on it and when your car's gonna run out of gas - are you gonna wait an extra day and get stuck on the road before you filler up? think not!! so, it's total price gouging for no reason other than the fact that they can get away with it again!! ouch!!

and what's "the rest of the story"???
blush.gif

A router IS an aftermarket firewall, and probably the best form of protection you can have from the bad, bad, internet. Your router probably has some sort of configuration tool, possibly web-based, that may have an incoming access log. All depends upon what brand/model of router you have.

And Kristie, I really doubt this worm came from Microsoft; it's a HUGE black eye for them, after their "trustworthy computing" campaign and millions spent on making Windows XP safe and secure, some hackers found a chink in the armor and drove a big-rig semi through it.

It may not be a conspiracy theory that fits this time, but I like the way you think Kristie
smile.gif

Definitely agree about gas prices!

You really want to get conspiracy theory going, let's talk about medical insurance benefits. Ever notice they deny everything first and fight about it later?

Anyone know of a worm/virus/trojan that constantly changes your windows time? I have an updated copy of Norton, but it's not finding anything, but my clock has a mind of it's own. I have had some virus issues lately, despite Norton, Zone Alarm, Windows firewall, and a Linksys switch.

rrrgggg. The last virus I identified was a w32 variant.

chunk

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know of a worm/virus/trojan that constantly changes your windows time?

[/ QUOTE ]

How old is your computer? Could be your CMOS battery....that can come up and bite you. If that battery gets weak, your machine can start to have trouble keeping time.

Computer clocks suck... I know that if I am running a lot of programs, my clock slows down real fast.

[ QUOTE ]
And Kristie, I really doubt this worm came from Microsoft; it's a HUGE black eye for them, after their "trustworthy computing" campaign and millions spent on making Windows XP safe and secure, some hackers found a chink in the armor and drove a big-rig semi through it.

[/ QUOTE ]

could be right there!!! or maybe someone found the chink that microsoft was going to use in the future to keep an eye on what people are computing??? so now, microsoft has to close the hole? darn, foiled again!

remember that "anti-trust" movie.. that was a good movie, quite interesting to think of the possibilities that computer program manufacturer's have...

haha - always thinking outside of the big box!!
grin.gif

I've been thinking about why MS would build such backdoors into their OS, but then I realized that corporate users want (and in some cases, NEED) them. The weaknesses like the one this latest worm exploits, tho, are just a case of rushed programming.
mad.gif

The virus you have is probably called LoveSan or Blaster..i just heard a news story on it...it constantly continues to restart your computer..but it does no permanant damage to it...below is the news story if you want to read more....right now...there is not a fix for this...

Experts Coping With LoveSan/Blaster Attacks
Technicians Often Patch After Virus Attacks

POSTED: 9:25 a.m. EDT August 13, 2003

It's going to be a busy day for computer technicians as they clean up from the "LovSan" or "Blaster" worm that invaded tens of thousands of computers this week, or upgrade software security.

PERSONAL VIRUS PROTECTION
Free Microsoft Patch
Download Virus Definitions
Virus Removal Tools
Securities Update Vault
REMEMBER: Don't open e-mail attachments that end in .vbs or other unfamiliar extensions. Even if the e-mail appears to come from a trusted source, it could be someone "spoofing" an address. Confirm it's from who you think it's from before you open.

Security experts said warnings did little to stop the latest Internet attack on Microsoft's Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows Server 2003 operating systems.

A fix had been available for nearly a month. On July 16, Microsoft posted on its Web site a free patch that prevents LovSan and similar infections. Notwithstanding the high-profile alerts issued by Microsoft and the Department of Homeland Security, many businesses did not install the patches and scrambled Tuesday to shore up their computers.

Security experts say patches often stay on "to do" lists until outbreaks occur.

The latest infection got its name from a note it leaves on infected computers: "I just want to say LOVE YOU SAN!" Researchers also discovered a hidden message that faults Microsoft chairman Bill Gates for not fixing the flaw in the Windows operating systems.

Among those affected by the worm were Maryland's Motor Vehicle Administration, automaker BMW and a Swedish Internet provider.

The Maryland agency shut all of its offices at noon Tuesday so technicians could work on its computer network. A spokeswoman says the agency didn't even have telephone service.

The antivirus company Symantec said the number of infections more than doubled in 12 hours. The company increased its threat level estimate to four, with five being the highest threat level.

The worm causes computers to restart, and knocks users from the Internet, but doesn't appear to cause any permanent damage.

Symantec has developed a tool to clean a computer that has been infected by the worm, as has CERT, the Carnegie Mellon Software Engineering Institute.

If you cannot access the Internet or even start up your computer without it mysteriously rebooting every minute, you will need to have a friend print out these step-by-step instructions to remove the virus from your computer.

The one saving grace about the worm is that it does not spread by e-mail and does not distribute itself to everyone in your e-mail address book. Through the Internet, the worm stealthily attaches itself to computers that have not installed a patch for the Windows flaw.

[ QUOTE ]
right now...there is not a fix for this...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats funny, cause I had this, and fixed it. Scroll up, theres a couple of links and a patch from Microsoft.
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A router IS an aftermarket firewall, and probably the best form of protection you can have from the bad, bad, internet. Your router probably has some sort of configuration tool, possibly web-based, that may have an incoming access log. All depends upon what brand/model of router you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am usin the Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router Model BEFSR41. I believe the one that was mentioned earlier, I'll go look on their website or something for what you mentioned.

I have a Dell 8200 Laptop with a touch pad and the pointer nub thing in the keyboard.

I use the nub for the mouse and after a few minutes of using it the mouse pointer always starts to drift around the screen.

Its really starting to DRIVE ME CRAZY! I can't find anything on the tech support pages addressing this issue. Anyone else have this problem/know a fix.

I know it seems like its not really a problem but its so dam annoying I just can't stand it anymore..

I had the worm, the patch that was posted earlier in this thread worked for my computer.1.
Smokey...........................................................................

Computer Adjustments For the Non Computer Savvy:

1) Find a large blunt object

2) Tell your computer how you feel

3) Hurl blunt object at the CPU (big box of irritation)

4) Grin happily

5) Get up tomorrow and use the public libraries computer

wink.gif

Well I guess the shutdown message is from the RPC service. If your computer shuts down before you have time to install the fix you can do the following:

Go to Control Panel, then Administrative Tools, then services. Under Services find the Remote Procedure Call option, and right click then go to Properties. Under Properties, go to the Recovery Tab, and you'll see the "At first failure..." "At Second Failure..." issue. Change those to "Take No Action" or "Restart The Service" instead of the the default "Reboot the Computer" option.

If anyones PC still reboots on them there are more things you can do but they are pretty involved and include some regediting for certain files...

Or you could start the XP firewall, go into msconfig and remove MSBLAST from the startup menu, and download the requisite patches.

A little bit easier, and you should be running the firewall anyway. <grin>
Paul

I got the same thing on my PC last week....Really freaked my out when I called out DSL provider and heard that it's probably someone trying to hack in. We didn't have any firewall protection nor virus protection.

I didn't read everyones proceeding post, so if I'm repeating the obvious, sorry...

I think that this is a Microsoft related problem, quite simply, they cannot just build an operating system that works without glitches.

Back