ILS or GPS?

Unless you have a legal to use VNAV system, I was always taught to dive and drive. In what you described I would go with what gives me the most amount of pavement to stop on. Also, I wouldn't try for style points, plant it and get on the brakes.

Unless you have a legal to use VNAV system, I was always taught to dive and drive. In what you described I would go with what gives me the most amount of pavement to stop on. Also, I wouldn't try for style points, plant it and get on the brakes.

We got rid of dive and drive, and don't have real vnav. On vor and loc approaches we do CANPA descents, GPS has advisory vnav info.

I do dive and drive as well, it's what I've always done, but I'm pretty sure I've read the constant descent approaches even non precision is much safer. Most of my approaches anymore are ILS or GPS, and if it's GPS there's a good chance it has a glideslope. Even a bunch of the LNAV's have advisory glideslopes now.

I do dive and drive as well, it's what I've always done, but I'm pretty sure I've read the constant descent approaches even non precision is much safer. Most of my approaches anymore are ILS or GPS, and if it's GPS there's a good chance it has a glideslope. Even a bunch of the LNAV's have advisory glideslopes now.

On my 737 type ride ( i dove and drove) the examiner commented that he liked it after the ride. If the plane and/or approach was built for the constant rate of descent profile the do it old school. getting creating in older equipment can be dangerous and make things harder than they have to be.

We got rid of dive and drive, and don't have real vnav. On vor and loc approaches we do CANPA descents, GPS has advisory vnav info.

Have to follow the what the company & local FSDO wants. On both my 727 and 737 ride the Feds wanted dive and drive even though the younger 727's do have FMS and vnav capability (but not authorized for use).

On my 737 type ride ( i dove and drove) the examiner commented that he liked it after the ride. If the plane and/or approach was built for the constant rate of descent profile the do it old school. getting creating in older equipment can be dangerous and make things harder than they have to be.
That's interesting, because I'm pretty sure it's the NTSB that recommends otherwise.
Although, I do find it easier, and less distracting to just dive and drive than do the smallest amount of math while flying to make myself a glideslope.

That's interesting, because I'm pretty sure it's the NTSB that recommends otherwise.
Although, I do find it easier, and less distracting to just dive and drive than do the smallest amount of math while flying to make myself a glideslope.
And then there's CANPA to circling, which is the dumbest thing.

Have to follow the what the company & local FSDO wants. On both my 727 and 737 ride the Feds wanted dive and drive even though the younger 727's do have FMS and vnav capability (but not authorized for use).

What the company wants, ok, they write the checks and it's their plane so fine. What the FSDO wants? Yeah, whatever. If the way I do it is not an outright violation they can like to see us do whatever they please, doesn't mean I'm going to...ever.

What the company wants, ok, they write the checks and it's their plane so fine. What the FSDO wants? Yeah, whatever. If the way I do it is not an outright violation they can like to see us do whatever they please, doesn't mean I'm going to...ever.

Last time i checked the manuals and procedures bear the signature of the local FSDO that authorized the content of the manual.

That doesn't mean they wrote anything in it though. I also often wonder if it even means they read it for some of the ridiculous crap that is sometimes included...

That doesn't mean they wrote anything in it though. I also often wonder if it even means they read it for some of the ridiculous crap that is sometimes included...

That is true. They are supposed to read them but some just rubber stamp them. Obviously any contradiction between the manual and CFR's the CFR's win. Generally speaking, if you follow the book you can usually defend yourself successfully if called out on something and you can backup your actions by company policy procedure or CFR.

What's this CANPA thing you're talking about? The guys who wrote our manuals haven't heard of that concept. We're still diving and driving like it's 1972...

What's this CANPA thing you're talking about? The guys who wrote our manuals haven't heard of that concept. We're still diving and driving like it's 1972...

Continuous Angle Non-Precision Approach.

You get to the FAF and roll in whatever the proper VS is for your speed to make an X degree GS. Cross check your altitudes on the way down against where you should be to make sure you're on the proper path, and then when you get to MDA + Y (I think we add 75' or something like that, I'm not current so don't quote me on the specifics here) you will initiate a missed approach.

Thanks.

I suppose I should have put in a "sarcasm" tag. That's how I was taught to do NPA's. My current company believes in the old school method though.
Continuous Angle Non-Precision Approach.

You get to the FAF and roll in whatever the proper VS is for your speed to make an X degree GS. Cross check your altitudes on the way down against where you should be to make sure you're on the proper path, and then when you get to MDA + Y (I think we add 75' or something like that, I'm not current so don't quote me on the specifics here) you will initiate a missed approach.

We can't legally conduct circling approaches most of the time. My type says "circling approach VMC only". 1000' and 3 mi seems higher than the minimums in this approach scenario.

Would you (the FO) and the CA have to be authorized for cir appr? I'm assuming that the CA in this situation would have it on his Type. Also it seems quite risky and challenging flying low and slow while attempting to stay within your protected airspace.

No, the CA has the same circling restriction on his/her type. The FAA has largely decided that circling approaches are too dangerous and pilots can't do anything without a computer telling them exactly what to do.

No, the CA has the same circling restriction on his/her type. The FAA has largely decided that circling approaches are too dangerous and pilots can't do anything without a computer telling them exactly what to do.
Circling at minimums at Cat D speeds doesn't sound like fun to me, so I'm okay with "CIRC APCH VMC ONLY" being on my type rating(s).

We'll just agree to disagree. I liked one of the very few chances left in this career to actually be a pilot.

When I was transitioning to the ATR we had to go back to sim to get the circling removed in the type because the only way to get into some airports was to circle. Little easier in a turboprop than a jet though.

Back