ILS as a non-precision app???

I completely agree. An ILS consists of 3 things that we all know, a LOC, GS, and MB. If you do not have any of those, you are not flying an ILS, period!

There are many ILS approaches out there without marker beacons. The regs only state that you must have an otter marker, and an inner marker if CAT II or III for the ILS to go into service. Once in service, many times these go away, and instead have a fix or intersection in their place.

I completely agree that the circle-to-land and sidestep are correct. You are doing everything the same as always in the ILS, you just have a higher DH and vis requirements. From an approach standpoint, would you fly this any differently, if in IMC, than a regular ILS? I would hope not!

Also, I think back to the approaches that say ILS RWY xx. No matter whether you are circling to land, doing a sidestep, or if the glideslope is out of service, it is still the ILS RWY xx approach. Just like controllers can't rename approaches, pilot can't either. Obviously we all know that if the GS is out of service that for all intents an purposes you are flying a localizer, but the is not a plate that says LOC RWY xx, or ILS or LOC RWY xx, it only says ILS RWY xx. From the standpoint of being asked this question, you can argue that you are still flying the ILS RWY xx, you are just flying this as a localizer. This goes back to my point above, with the marker beacons, just because the GS is out of service, does not mean the the approach name changes. If you start getting an argument back, just find an airport with an ILS, but no ILS or LOC, or LOC approaches, and tell your instructor or examiner or whoever asks the question to show you where the localizer approach is. They won't be able to find one, they will only be able to find an ILS, that does have separate minimums as a localizer.

Remember, just because you fly this approach differently, based on the runway being used, or equipment being used, the name of the approach remains the same, so if it is labeled ILS RWY xx, the approach is an ILS, it is not a loaclizer or a sidestep, or a circle-to-land...you as the PIC just fly it that way.

Also, don't criticize me based on my name, at this point I am a far from a student pilot, just a name I made when I first joined, and have been to lazy to change

You are 100% correct. I can't remember the last ILS approach I flew that had a MB...it's been a while. They are a thing of the past.

And btw, we are all student pilots brother. When you stop being a student you stop learning! :)

You are 100% correct. I can't remember the last ILS approach I flew that had a MB...it's been a while. They are a thing of the past.

And btw, we are all student pilots brother. When you stop being a student you stop learning! :)

You're 100% correct, and I did not mean that to sound as cocky as it did. The only thing I meant is I didn't want people dismissing what I had to say thinking I was a primary student, which is not the case. Again, though, you are preaching to the choir, any pilot who says that they do not learn something new every flight, even if it is subconscious (sp), is a dangerous pilot and should not be in the sky

ILS for non precision.

How about those crazy people that shoot the ILS at one airport and then pick up a contact approach for another airport once able to see the ground.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...you're giving away all of the tricks.

-mini

Back