IGI?

popaviator

I just passed my Instrument written and CFII written, but is the IGI worth taking? I'm planning on taking it and wanted to hear what you guys had to say.....

I don't see why not. You're already studied up on the material; just one more written test covering the same stuff. That written, along with the FOI (a joke test), and a trip to the FSDO will get you your ground instructor ticket.

Take it! I have all the requirements for my gold seal except for the two GI writtens and now I'm paying for it because I'm studying for the exams all over again. Take it now and add one more bullit to your resume.

TAKE IT!!! It's the exact same test as the II, except there are a couple of helicopter questions in it. Just know the alternate wx mins for R/W and you will be fine.

As has been said above, I would take it.

All of it is already in your head and as long as you are spending the money to do all the other ratings right now then adding this test fee is a drop in the bucket.

It will never be easier for you to take it than right now.

Just a heads up on all the R/W questions...any question in the bank that is about choppers...the correct answer is the longest one

Have Fun.

I hate to be different from everybody else... but I really don't see the point in taking it unless one of three things: 1) you don't plan on actually getting your CFII 2) If you are getting your CFII you plan on letting it lapse at the first possible chance 3) You have some obsession with being a gold seal instructor

Unless you fit into one of those groups having your IGI doesn't really help but to waste 80-90 bucks. CFII gives you the credentials to sign off instrument students. And, honestly, having an IGI really doesn't give you a whole lot to add to a resume.

I hate to be different from everybody else... but I really don't see the point in taking it unless one of three things: 1) you don't plan on actually getting your CFII 2) If you are getting your CFII you plan on letting it lapse at the first possible chance 3) You have some obsession with being a gold seal instructor

Unless you fit into one of those groups having your IGI doesn't really help but to waste 80-90 bucks. CFII gives you the credentials to sign off instrument students. And, honestly, having an IGI really doesn't give you a whole lot to add to a resume.

Its nice also because you don't have to keep any paper work (no records) for written sign offs. Gold seal, and idk its just one more thing to put on the resume

I actually missed out on getting my gold seal because I didn't take my IGI and AGI exams. Do I regret it? Not really... It would have been cool to have the gold seal label but at the same time I don't feel I need a "label" to make me feel that I am a good instructor.
Honestly, I think they should eliminate the requirement to have your IGI/AGI certificate for the gold seal. What does having a ground instructor certificate have to do with making me a better instructor when I already have my CFI/CFII/MEI and a proven record via my students 1st time pass-rates.

I actually missed out on getting my gold seal because I didn't take my IGI and AGI exams. Do I regret it? Not really... It would have been cool to have the gold seal label but at the same time I don't feel I need a "label" to make me feel that I am a good instructor.
Honestly, I think they should eliminate the requirement to have your IGI/AGI certificate for the gold seal. What does having a ground instructor certificate have to do with making me a better instructor when I already have my CFI/CFII/MEI and a proven record via my students 1st time pass-rates.

Agreed. And, what does IDK mean? It was in the previous post. "I don't know?" Maybe. I'm not a huge internet person.

The IGI and AGI took around 12 and 15 mins to take respectively, cost around $75 a piece, and allowed one free renewal of my CFI tickets without having to do the courseware. Worth it? Probably not but it's still neat to have a gold seal CFI, if you ever instruct again that's something you can put up there that will seperate you from the pack, maybe allow you to charge $5-$10/hr more than the regular "Joe-flight-instructors" out there.

The IGI and AGI took around 12 and 15 mins to take respectively, cost around $75 a piece, and allowed one free renewal of my CFI tickets without having to do the courseware. Worth it? Probably not but it's still neat to have a gold seal CFI, if you ever instruct again that's something you can put up there that will seperate you from the pack, maybe allow you to charge $5-$10/hr more than the regular "Joe-flight-instructors" out there.
:yeahthat:it has gotten me work over other guys, charging $15-20 more per hour.

Most people will recognize the value of paying more for someone that has proven themselves over the guy that hasn't.

Maybe once you have the pass rate required to get the gold seal I'd think about taking it then. I really don't see any reason to take either the AGI or IGI unless you do have the 80% passrate. If you've never instructed, having an AGI or an IGI on your resume with doubtfully help you get the job. It'd be more beneficial to take that $150 and invest it in gas, drive around to some FBO's and talk with some flight schools about jobs, then it would be to have the AGI or IGI.

:yeahthat:it has gotten me work over other guys, charging $15-20 more per hour.

Most people will recognize the value of paying more for someone that has proven themselves over the guy that hasn't.

How does an IGI show that you have proven yourself? Maybe someone who knows nothing about the IGI will consider it a bonus. Anyone who knows otherwise knows that you took another instrument rating written exam and paid another 70-100 bucks.

Back