IFR vs VFR Flight Following

eodfe

Hey everyone, just a simple question, trying to decide between filing IFR or just going VFR with Flight Following. I'm leaving Denver this Friday and flying to Great Falls, MT, about a 6 hour trip in a C182S. I'm only going to go if the weather is VFR all the way, don't want to end up in a summer super-cell T-Storm.
crazy.gif

This is my first long cross country by myself and I'm undecided between IFR or VFR with Flight Following. I'm leaving at around 4:00am, while it is still dark. Anyone out there have any opinions one way or the other?

Sure would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

If you have the instrument ticket i would recommend IFR. You could finalize your cross country with an approach to go towards your IFR currency and you could practice flying some airways.

For me it would really depend on the weather and if time was a factor.

If it's severe clear and you know the route well and want to get there quick, VFR may be better.

If you're haven't made that trip previously at night or during the day, an IFR flight plan may be better. You'll have your minimum enroute altitudes etc and be able to shoot an approach. I know here on Long Island there are plenty of evenings where inbounds have trouble with visual approaches, 6 miles and Haze with tons of ground clutter around the airport make it next to impossible to find the field. I doubt Montana has the haze factor but an Instrument approach is nice into a unfamiliar airport sometimes.

Thanks for the input. Since I'm leaving in the dark and I haven't been this route before, I'll file IFR.

Again, thanks for the input!

IFR would be best; just be wary of MEAs

Day VFR with FF would be easiest.... but that's of course not always possible.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the input. Since I'm leaving in the dark and I haven't been this route before, I'll file IFR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good plan.

Back