IFR terrain

meritflyer

Can I let ATC know I can maintain my own terrain seperation on an IFR flight plan if I am in a familiar area and in the clear blue and dont want to climb another 3,000'?

Yeah. Tell them you have the terrain in sight and want a VFR climb. Gives ATC the warm fuzzies....

Can I let ATC know I can maintain my own terrain seperation on an IFR flight plan if I am in a familiar area and in the clear blue and dont want to climb another 3,000'?

if you don't want to maintain an IFR altitude, don't file it. 'nuff said.

My guess is you would have to take the Minimum Vectoring Altitude or just cancel. Let's see what a controller says when they chime in.

VFR-on-top is what I've usually been given. I dont know if the controller can let you maintain your own terrain seperation if you were given direct from your present position to another point while crusing at 10,000 yet the min IFR altitude for that sector is 12,000 but you know the route and can maintain your own IFR terrain seperation.

if you don't want to maintain an IFR altitude, don't file it. 'nuff said.

Oh, Bullcrap. There are lots of situations where this is a very appropriate solution.Coming out of Nashville - John C. Tune, departing runway 20, you have to climb to 3000 feet before they'll give you any turns (due to terrain to the southeast, south, some slightly to the southwest, and lots of large metallic probes sticking up into the air.

Now, if you're departing IFR in a King Air or Beechjet, on a high IFR day (or even a VFR day!!!) and the guy in front of you is departing IFR in a 172, you're going to be pi$$ed when he can't turn until he reaches 3000 feet. Many times, I've listened to jets being told that they could go , and that they have the lead traffic in sight - but nope!

However, if you advise ATC that you can provide your own terrain and obstruction clearance, they'll turn you and start getting people out behind you.

So, there ya go!

Oh, Bullcrap. There are lots of situations where this is a very appropriate solution.Coming out of Nashville - John C. Tune, departing runway 20, you have to climb to 3000 feet before they'll give you any turns (due to terrain to the southeast, south, some slightly to the southwest, and lots of large metallic probes sticking up into the air.

Now, if you're departing IFR in a King Air or Beechjet, on a high IFR day (or even a VFR day!!!) and the guy in front of you is departing IFR in a 172, you're going to be pi$$ed when he can't turn until he reaches 3000 feet. Many times, I've listened to jets being told that they could go , and that they have the lead traffic in sight - but nope!

However, if you advise ATC that you can provide your own terrain and obstruction clearance, they'll turn you and start getting people out behind you.

So, there ya go!

re-read his post again. we're talking two different situations...

he's talking about MAINTAINING a lower altitude, ie (as I picture it in my head) an MEA change for the higher and he just wants to stay low. not turning early for a climb.

I've done this, I asked to maintain 5k instead of 7k (I was GPS direct and not on a route). Center just asked me if I could guarantee terrain clearance.

In the particular quadrangle I was in, the min was published at 6200, but that was for mountainous terrain well west of me.

Back