IFR Preferred Routes

sorrygottarunway

The AFD doesn't have the best info on IFR preferred routes from my airport to anywhere.... If I remember correctly, there is a website that had all of them listed- just enter your departure and arrival airports, and it would automatically churn out the preferred route.

Anybody remember this by any chance?

I don't know the website, but the front section of your Jepps has a pretty big listing of preferred routes, as well as TEC routes. Dunno if this helps!

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure. I've always done it the ole fashioned way with the AFD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lot's of people still do it the old fashioned way...but if we can come uip with a newer, easier system???
wink.gif

NFDC Preferred Routes Database

Remember that published IFR preferred routes do not exist between all city pairs. There are many hundreds more non-published preferred routes, particularly in the Northeast, and I don't know of any way besides guess-and-by-golly to figure some of those out!

The above link will get you all of the published preferred routes, though.

Probably a Dumb Answer
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AFD???

[/ QUOTE ]

Airport Facilities Directory....The lovely green book published every 56 days (i think)

[ QUOTE ]
Remember that published IFR preferred routes do not exist between all city pairs. There are many hundreds more non-published preferred routes, particularly in the Northeast, and I don't know of any way besides guess-and-by-golly to figure some of those out!

[/ QUOTE ]

Í just now am in the habit of filing a route with FSS, but then when I get my clearance it is something totally different and I end up furiously scribbling and making everyone wait. This is why I pick up the clearance before I even start the engines.... I have been told that with experience, "you learn what you'll usually get."

[ QUOTE ]
I have been told that with experience, "you learn what you'll usually get."

[/ QUOTE ]This is true ... for years, when flying in and out of the New York area, I would get a full-route clearance with a massive and ugly reroute no matter what I filed. After doing it for quite a while, I have cracked the code ... at least for the places I usually go to and from ... and 95% of the time I get "cleared as filed" and no dynamic rerouting.

Of course, give it a couple years and they'll be rearranging all the NYC airspace and we'll have to start learning the system all over again!

Back