"IFR" or "IFR Refresher"?

big_news_1

Disclaimer: I put this in the technical forum because both publications in question are written to a technical, procedure-enhancing level.

For those of you familiar with both IFR and IFR Refresher, which publication is more beneficial from the standpoint of increasing technical knowledge? I've heard good things about both, but cannot determine which one will benefit me more as a CFII.

Disclaimer: I put this in the technical forum because both publications in question are written to a technical, procedure-enhancing level.

For those of you familiar with both IFR and IFR Refresher, which publication is more beneficial from the standpoint of increasing technical knowledge? I've heard good things about both, but cannot determine which one will benefit me more as a CFII.
never heard of either

For the CFII the Instrument Procedures Handbook and the Instrument Flying handbook, coupled with an AIM, and that is all you need.

IFR Refresher is a (monthly?) publication.....softcover magazine style. Has some good info IMHO, though most of mine ended up in a stack by the toilet :eek: Not sure about IFR

I had a refresher subscription for a while, it was pretty good, but was expensive to continue

never heard of either

For the CFII the Instrument Procedures Handbook and the Instrument Flying handbook, coupled with an AIM, and that is all you need.

While I agree with your statement, in the training environment, but out in the real world which most of our instrument students will find themselves - we can not properly simulate a number of situations which they might encounter.

That said, additional educational publications such as IFR or IFR Refresher are great additions and serve a valuable purpose in increasing our student's knowledge of traps and exit routes.

never heard of either
They are monthly periodicals, not training manuals.

big_news, they both come from the same publisher, but they are different. Both will deal with expanding knowledge and proficiency, but in different ways.

IFR Refresher tends to be more "nuts and bolts" oriented - basic information and fairly straight-forward.

IFR tends to be more "real world" oriented - what ATC "really" expects, how to "work" the system. Sometimes the articles a a bit more "edgy," having views or suggesting techniques that some folks might find a little more controversial. Or, heck, you might even try writing to the publisher and asking for a sample issue of both.

I think they are both good and through the years, I've switched from one to the other periodically. Right now, I'm getting IFR. I'd suggest either borrowing someone's of both or simply trying one and at the end of the subscription period, trying another.

They are monthly periodicals, not training manuals.

big_news, they both come from the same publisher, but they are different. Both will deal with expanding knowledge and proficiency, but in different ways.

IFR Refresher tends to be more "nuts and bolts" oriented - basic information and fairly straight-forward.

IFR tends to be more "real world" oriented - what ATC "really" expects, how to "work" the system. Sometimes the articles a a bit more "edgy," having views or suggesting techniques that some folks might find a little more controversial. Or, heck, you might even try writing to the publisher and asking for a sample issue of both.

I think they are both good and through the years, I've switched from one to the other periodically. Right now, I'm getting IFR. I'd suggest either borrowing someone's of both or simply trying one and at the end of the subscription period, trying another.

Is Berto still the editor for IFR?

Cool, I will have to check out "IFR" as well. To echo what has been said before, standard IFR training manuals really don't stimulate thought/learning beyond a certain point of experience. Not going to say that I have nothing left to learn from them at this point, but I have yet to find an instrument handbook that covers the info that I still have questions about. FWIW with respect to the "training environment"

I love "IFR" magazine! Haven't read "refresher" but I can recommend IFR as my it is my favorite aviation magazines. Its the only one I actually read cover to cover every month. You pay a little more for it because its an actual magazine, not a glossy cover to cover advertisement like almost every other magazine has become. Actually, theres no advertising at all which is really nice.

never heard of either

As already stated by Surreal12345, IFR goes much deeper than the IPH, IFH, and AIM. Its definitely worth checking out if you havent read one!

I subscribe to both, and find them both informative. Like was said before, IFR has some edgy and controversial articles. If I had to choose just one of them, I would probably pick Refresher due to the straight forward nature of the articles. However, I really enjoy the weather articles written by Scott Dennstaedt in IFR. They go way beyond what you learn in the class room. Overall, you probably can't go wrong with either one.

Sorry to take so long to respond!

I appreciate the advice and opinions on both publications. I think I'll give IFR Refresher a try first, then maybe subscribe to IFR after the subscription expires.

Thanks folks!

Back