IFR finish up mid-December. Where to go?

KaiGywer

So I am in the situation of being a procrastinator... If I don't complete my IFR training by January, I have to retake my IFR written. So with that being said, I am looking for somewhere in the country where I can finish up training and take the checkride Dec 10-13 (time off from work those days).

All my "legal requirements" (XC time etc.) are met, so it would be basically hammer out checkride and oral prep for a couple days and get capable and confident enough to pass it. All my training so far is with six-pack planes, but I wouldn't be opposed to glass if the price is right.

I can travel anywhere in the country, but would prefer somewhere southern-ish to avoid weather delays. Also prefer somewhere "cheap" with regards to rental/instruction and hotel. And of course the kicker...DPE availability.

I'd recommend Riggin Flight Service in Madison SD. I just finished my Instrument there, and they have speed and efficiency figured out. They also have a DPE on staff to do your check ride as soon as you're done with the prep. The only drawback (if you could call it that) is that they use a Cessna 140 for training, so you'll need a tailwheel checkout of you don't already have one.

I'd recommend Riggin Flight Service in Madison SD. I just finished my Instrument there, and they have speed and efficiency figured out. They also have a DPE on staff to do your check ride as soon as you're done with the prep. The only drawback (if you could call it that) is that they use a Cessna 140 for training, so you'll need a tailwheel checkout of you don't already have one.
I actually looked at Riggin (I live in Bismarck, ND), but my worry was that SD in December is equally cold and snowy as ND. I don't have tailwheel, but being able to knock out IFR and tailwheel at the same time would be awesome of course.

Crystal River. Nicest folks you'll meet in aviation. They even named the airport after the guy who runs the flight school.

ATD Flight Systems LLC - KMKC. Call and ask for Matt. Kansas City Missouri Finished me up in 5.8 hours of flight with all legal requirements met for commercial. They have a DPE on staff with numerous other DPE in the area on short call, but would need to call this week to check availability. They have piper PA-28 and C 172 all steam. Highly Recommended. I passed with 3 days left on my written.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a call in to Riggin (the tailwheel intrigues me, and it's close to home), but if that falls through, the place in KMKC looks promising also.

Well, I did it
clear.png
Arrived at Riggin Flight Service in Madison, SD on Monday morning and walked out with a temporary instrument ticket and tailwheel endorsement on Saturday. Only had one day down due to weather, and managed to bust my IFR ride the first time on Friday because of a brain fart (VOR reverse sensing). Went back up Saturday and finished it. For those looking for a place to train, I have nothing but good things to say about Riggin.

48377395_10103160522599810_2397559132421881856_n.jpg

Well, I did it
clear.png
Arrived at Riggin Flight Service in Madison, SD on Monday morning and walked out with a temporary instrument ticket and tailwheel endorsement on Saturday. Only had one day down due to weather, and managed to bust my IFR ride the first time on Friday because of a brain fart (VOR reverse sensing). Went back up Saturday and finished it. For those looking for a place to train, I have nothing but good things to say about Riggin.

48377395_10103160522599810_2397559132421881856_n.jpg
Congratulations! Good old November, it's tight and chilly, but gets the job done!

@Urp99 @KaiGywer

May I know where did you guys stay? I don't drive.
That is my biggest worry.

Q1. How much does it cost?
Q2. How far from the school?
When I was there they had a house rented that they sublet to students and instructors. Nothing special, but it was cheap and had a kitchen so you could save on food. It was several miles from the airport, but several people had cars and commuted daily, I'm sure you could catch a ride. Best bet would be to call and check with them, they kind of specialize in accelerated training, you wouldn't be the first student to show up without a vehicle.

@Urp99 @KaiGywer

May I know where did you guys stay? I don't drive.
That is my biggest worry.

Q1. How much does it cost?
Q2. How far from the school?
When I was there they had a house rented that they sublet to students and instructors. Nothing special, but it was cheap and had a kitchen so you could save on food. It was several miles from the airport, but several people had cars and commuted daily, I'm sure you could catch a ride. Best bet would be to call and check with them, they kind of specialize in accelerated training, you wouldn't be the first student to show up without a vehicle.
Pretty much echo what @Urp99 said. My experience there was almost 4 years ago, but to my knowledge they're still doing the same thing. They will send someone to pick you up at FSD if you fly in commercial. When I was there, I got a hotel, but they gave me the courtesy car for the week.

Back