IFR Checklists

farwellbooth

What checklists do you use while flying IFR? I haven't been taught any by my instructor for use while flying IFR... I have forgot to tune in the ILS and have flown over the inbound course in the past.

I've heard of:

M arker beacons
I D navaids
C ourse inbound
E ntry type
A ltitudes
T ime
M issed app. point
M issed app. procudure

Any otheres you use? thanks

I have this taped to the side of my kneeboard.

WHERE ARE YOU NOW?
WHERE ARE YOU GOING?
HOW ARE YOU GOING TO GET THERE?
NEXT 2 THINGS

TIME TURN TWIST THROTTLE TALK

APPROACH BRIEF
1. I.D. APP Plate
2. Primary APP Nav Tuned - ID
3. Marker Beacon Test and Set
4. FAC Verified - Set - #1 Nav
5. FAF ALT (Rvs) - Step Downs
6. DA / MDA - Vis - LOC - Circle
7. MAP Point - Procedure
8. Time - VDP
9. Terrain
10. No Nav Flags
11. Power Set
12. G-U-M-P-B-L-E-S

While not really a checklist, I'm a fan of Machado's 'see it, say it, point to it' method of doing things in the cockpit... I've caught some pretty bad stuff doing it that way (like tuning in the wrong radials).

A - Approach configuration & GLUMPS
R - Radios & nav set
C - Course outbound/inbound (look at the plate)
A - Altitude for the published procedure (plate)
T - Timer ready

I usually use this 5-7 minutes before hitting the IAF.

Radios
ATIS
Brief Approach
Checklist

RABC. Pretty simple.
Radio check includes all the nav and com frequencies used for the approach and missed (if possible to set ahead)
Setting radios left to right (when you have something like KX155 for the nice flip/flop ability) makes it easier
Listen to ATIS and record, report you have it to ATC after listening.
Brief, includes heading set on OBS for a reminder on an ILS/LOC type approach, missed procedures, DA/DH, etc
Checklist, important thing to have done for landing
smile.gif

I repeat to myself pretty much constantly during approaches, RABC, as usually the Checklist is waiting until the later
part, and don't want to miss that.

Josh

A ATIS
S Stack
A Approach Brief
P Pre-landing Checklist

For the approach brief I use MICEATMM (see above)

Then of course the 5Ts at the FAF and GUMPS about 3 times b/w there and MAP/landing.

G as (fuel selector on [both/fuller tank/mains..whatever applies], fuel pumps on, pressure in the green)
U ndercarriage [down and welded
laugh.gif
or set to go]
M ixtures full rich
P rops [set to proper RPM]
S witches [ON] (landing light, taxi light - whatever applies)
S eatbelts set and secure

then:

A irspeed
A ltitude
A TIS
A vionics
A pproach Brief

Do this WELL before being vectored onto final and all you'll have to do is fly the plane.

DO NOT FORGET to cross-reference your HI with your mag compass to make certain that it is accurate!!

Once you have crossed the FAF:

T ime [start your timer]
T turn [onto appropriate heading]
T twist [your avionics = VOR, NDB, ILS]
T throttle [back for appropriate descent]
T talk

Good luck!

R2F

[quoteT ime [start your timer]
T talk

Good luck!

R2F

[/ QUOTE ]

I've also seen a number of iterations of the 5Ts, the promary difference being turn first then time; though it's probably all a wash anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
What's the AF standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Our regs tend to teach the 5 Ts, yet start with Turn, Time, Throttles, Twist, Track, Talk. I think the reasoning for the Turn then Time is you lose a couple seconds punching the timer first then rolling into the turn, then the turn taking effect. IMO, all a wash to me since the different iterations all include the same items, just in slightly different order.

We're also taught WHOLDS for WX, Holding, Obtain Clearance, Letdown plate review, Descent check, Speed (for particular segment). Pretty much the same as any of the other acronyms presented in this thread, so it's much the same idea of use whatever works for you personally.

[ QUOTE ]

I've also seen a number of iterations of the 5Ts, the promary difference being turn first then time; though it's probably all a wash anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]The other one is changing the position of "twist" and "throttle".

And it is a wash. You can think of the T's as a series of tasks that need to be accomplished. Not necessarily the order in which you'll do them. After all, isn't it =always= Aviate, Navigate, Communicate? Which would make turn and throttle come first.

(I leave out "Track". The day I need a mnemonic to remind me to stay on course is the day I stop flying)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]The other one is changing the position of "twist" and "throttle".

And it is a wash. You can think of the T's as a series of tasks that need to be accomplished. Not necessarily the order in which you'll do them. After all, isn't it =always= Aviate, Navigate, Communicate? Which would make turn and throttle come first.

(I leave out "Track". The day I need a mnemonic to remind me to stay on course is the day I stop flying)

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that to this day when flying an approach or in IMC, I still mentally run through the WHOLDS, the 6Ts (I include Tires also) and have always glossed over "Track". It's mentally "said" but glossed right over. I even use, to this day in my jet, a modification of the 5Cs for my missed approaches just like I was taught in Seminoles:

Climb-------------Establish clime attitude
Cram-------------Simultaneous throttles forward (also Prop levers to climb in piston twin) and speed brakes in (on throttles)

Clean----------------Confirm Speed brakes in. Gear up/Flaps up
Cool------------------Piston twin only, cowl flaps open
Communicate----Self Explanatory.

Still use now the 4Cs to this day.

[ QUOTE ]
[quoteT ime [start your timer]
T talk

Good luck!

R2F

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had an old salt teach me instruments and he would always add a 6th T ... THINK

It makes more sense to me now.

[ QUOTE ]
I had an old salt teach me instruments and he would always add a 6th T ... THINK

[/ QUOTE ]That's the most important one. It shout be the first one. Sometimes I think the proper way to use the Ts is this:

1. Before you get to the fix, run through them as a briefing for what you will have to do when you get there (not you're a head of the plane). "When I get to XYZ, I'll have to turn to a heading of...."

2. When you get to the fix, just do the tasks.

3. After you've passed the fix, review the Ts to make suer that you didn't miss anything.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]That's the most important one. It shout be the first one. Sometimes I think the proper way to use the Ts is this:

1. Before you get to the fix, run through them as a briefing for what you will have to do when you get there (not you're a head of the plane). "When I get to XYZ, I'll have to turn to a heading of...."

2. When you get to the fix, just do the tasks.

3. After you've passed the fix, review the Ts to make suer that you didn't miss anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good way to do it.

Back