IFR chart question

When an approach plate states ILS or LOC/DME, DME is required for both the ILS and the LOC approach.

About 10 years ago the FAA changed chart titles for such approaches from ILS/DME or LOC/DME to ILS or LOC/DME.

Also, if you look at the chart DME is the only means to identify the FAF.

Finally, I was asked this question at a US Air interview and the answer was indeed DME required for both.

Wow thanks for that answer. That sounds pretty definitive to me. I might send AOPA an email about their chart quiz ;)

I disagree with AOPA. The ILS has 3 components. Guidance, visual and range. Without DME, you have no range information. Yes, you can identify the FAF and MAP without DME, but there is no way to cross check. Now if jugba had RADAR written underneath it, you'd be fine.

This is sort of like the stupid way FAA controllers say "cleared ILS approach, glide slope out of service". By definition, that is not an ILS approach, regardless of what the chart title says.

When an approach plate states ILS or LOC/DME, DME is required for both the ILS and the LOC approach.

About 10 years ago the FAA changed chart titles for such approaches from ILS/DME or LOC/DME to ILS or LOC/DME.

Also, if you look at the chart DME is the only means to identify the FAF.

Finally, I was asked this question at a US Air interview and the answer was indeed DME required for both.
Do you have a reference for that? I tend to agree, but it would be handy to have it in writing.

I also wish I had a jepp plate in front of me instead. I swear whenever there's confusion on an approach a 1/2 second look at a jepp fixes any confusion.

image.jpg

Re-read my answer. Nobody is arguing about the name of the approach. I'm saying that the name "ILS", by definition, requires the identification of the outer and middle markers. If there are not functioning radio beacons, then you can use DME. If there is not DME then you can use precision approach radar advisories from ATC. If you cannot do any of that... then it's not an ILS. An ILS is not just a localizer and glideslope pair.

ORLY?

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1301/00515I26.PDF

Has an OM

Which is nowhere near charted glideslope intercept. Has no MM. There are procedures that have neither, with no DME. Notice the lack of "or LOC" in the chart title. Problem is, everyone wants to see a comma, when actually there's a dash. Big difference between "ILS or LOC, DME" and "ILS or LOC/DME" to put it more simply, the approach in question is "[ILS] or [LOC/DME]" if DME was intended to be used even by aircraft flying the ILS, it wouldn't be called a LOC/DME approach, it would just say ILS or LOC, with a DME Required note on the planview.

First off thank you all for the responses, I like that there are people on both sides of this. I think from a practicality standpoint I wonder why can't I fly this approach without DME, do I really need to know that I am over JUGBA, can't I just use glideslope intercept? AOPA's explanation is pretty much the same reasoning that jeflies uses, that it is an ILS or LOC/DME chart, and therefore the approach is to be thought of as either an ILS or a LOC/DME and not an ILS/DME & LOC/DME.

So let's say you are doing the ILS with no DME/GPS, no operative marker beacon. What if the glideslope fails? How do you continue? How would you know when to go missed? Notice they didn't publish a FAF to MAP, but even if they did, you can't identify the FAF, so where would you even start your timing?

Very interesting. Thank you for that. I will certainly look into how that approach fits into the general model. The only times I've seen approaches without LOC mins published are PRM and CAT2/3.

Off the top of my head, this approach doesn't add up. I'm betting this gets away because of 2 things I notice though:

1.The FAF @ CFLSK is actually a CNF. If I'm not mistaken, these can only be retrieved from a database as part of an airway/procedure. I'm guessing you would only see this waypoint if you selected the CUPEV transition.

2. You would still be able to get range information as you pass CUPEV, but it is inside the FAF, which is unusual.

I just looked at the Jepp plate for this approach. The plan view shows a marker beacon at CUPEV only, and the profile view shows a beacon at CFLSK only. o_O

I just looked at the Jepp plate for this approach. The plan view shows a marker beacon at CUPEV only, and the profile view shows a beacon at CFLSK only. o_O

It's at CUPEV, at least according to our FTD database. On a possibly related note, the reason it is charted as faded grey instead of black, is because it isn't technically part of the procedure, at least according to the FAA legend.

It's at CUPEV, at least according to our FTD database. On a possibly related note, the reason it is charted as faded grey instead of black, is because it isn't technically part of the procedure, at least according to the FAA legend.
Ya, it's actually at CUPEV. It's funny you should post this approach, as this is the first one that came to mind and me questioning all this in my post above. I've flown it so many times I can keep the jepps in the car and do it from memory, usually via whele coming from spokane.

Very interesting. Thank you for that. I will certainly look into how that approach fits into the general model. The only times I've seen approaches without LOC mins published are PRM and CAT2/3.

Off the top of my head, this approach doesn't add up. I'm betting this gets away because of 2 things I notice though:

1.The FAF @ CFLSK is actually a CNF. If I'm not mistaken, these can only be retrieved from a database as part of an airway/procedure. I'm guessing you would only see this waypoint if you selected the CUPEV transition.

2. You would still be able to get range information as you pass CUPEV, but it is inside the FAF, which is unusual.
Remember the FAF for an ILS is glideslope intercept, it isn't necessarily CFLSK, the OM is mearly a situational awareness/glideslope-altitude check. Aside from that you don't need it at all.
Also here's another example of an ILS with no LOC mins, although there is an entirely separate LOC procedure. - http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1301/00384I13R.PDF
Here's another example of an ILS only with the OM inside the normal glideslope intercept - http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1301/00465IZ27.PDF

Those are 3 in my neck of the woods that we go to a lot, so I'm sure there's lots more out there.

I could be wrong but....

It looks to me like simultaneous reception of I-PAE and PAE/DME means:

Receive the LOC on I-PAE and you would need the DME from the PAE VOR/DME to Identify your FAF and MAP on the LOC/DME. I don't really see much complications in that.

Looking at that Jepp chart, I don't see anywhere where DME would be used on the ILS. It can't be used to identify your FAF and it can't be used to Identify your MAP which is really DA. I don't really see an issue with the approach missing markers either, a lot of approaches don't have them. That ILS looks /U to me

I'd like to see something in writing from the FAA saying DME required on an ILS with the "or" language.

I'd like to see something in writing from the FAA saying DME required on an ILS with the "or" language.
It's not. We know that. What is being debated is all the items an ILS consists of and what can be used in lieu of. Of note, it also says that a middle marker is part of the components, but there are very few ILS with middle markers anymore or any way to identify where they used/could have been. In the PAE case, in order to comply with 91.175k definition, I would think it would at least say radar required given the lack of a OM. DME required cannot be implied by the need of local knowledge.
Although, just thinking of this, there are the "published" NOTAMS... the ones that are in a book somewhere that no one actually has. They tend to have been out FOREVER, but the chart changes still don't get made. Anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I mixing two things up here?

91.175(k)

(k) ILS components. The basic ground components of an ILS are the localizer, glide slope, outer marker, middle marker, and, when installed for use with Category II or Category III instrument approach procedures, an inner marker. A compass locator or precision radar may be substituted for the outer or middle marker. DME, VOR, or nondirectional beacon fixes authorized in the standard instrument approach procedure or surveillance radar may be substituted for the outer marker. Applicability of, and substitution for, the inner marker for Category II or III approaches is determined by the appropriate part 97 approach procedure, letter of authorization, or operations specification pertinent to the operations.

Granted, I'm a young PPL guy... But as an FE in a heavy, I've never heard of markers or DME being utilized during an ILS approach. With an aircraft having marker beacon receiver troubles, we still shoot ILS's.

I get that everyone is discussing the FAA's definition of ILS components... However, it says "the basic ground components of an ILS are..." No where in any of the reading I've done have I ever seen that any of these basic components are REQUIRED. Guess this is what I'm stuck on.

Just trying to learn from everyone's posts... Thanks for the discussion.

From the TERPS manual:

==============================
ILS procedures do not require DME to fly the final approach, even if a DME fix has been substituted for one of the marker beacons, therefore, ILS procedures shall not be named ILS/DME. If a procedure requires DME to fly the final approach, the suffix “DME” shall be added; e.g., LOC/DME RWY (number). A chart shall be noted to indicate RADAR is required for approach minima. When a LOC procedure is published on an ILS chart, it is a combined procedure. When procedures are combined, the word “or” shall indicate either type of equipment may be be used to execute the final approach; e.g., ILS or LOC/DME, ILS or TACAN, VOR/DME or TACAN,
==============================

That does not mean there will never be an ILS approach that requires DME. There could always be something special that needs to be done to tweak a particular approach. Just that the typical ILS does not and the "DME" in an "ILS or LOC/DME" approach refers only to the LOC-only approach, not the ILS.

Back