IFOD Accomodations

JT8D

Hi.

Did any of you who attended IFOD in DFW stay elsewhere besides the hotel options they list on the website? I'm looking for a place to stay for 5 weeks..
Thanks

Last edited:
A buddy of mine was in the class earlier this year and said that a couple people checked out of the Econolodge after the first week because someone tried to forcibly break into their room (while they were in it). Not sure where they went, I think the Residence Inn?

A buddy of mine was in the class earlier this year and said that a couple people checked out of the Econolodge after the first week because someone tried to forcibly break into their room (while they were in it). Not sure where they went, I think the Residence Inn?

Haha I heard about that, in my class everyone that was at the econolodge had a lot of problems. I've been to the holiday inn that's nearby and it's quite nice, the staff is really been awesome.

Disclaimer: I'm a local so I lived in my apartment.

Yeah the way I understand the story was that the dude was in his room studying, and around midnight someone knocks on the door and said "Maintenance, open the door." Dude told his class that he thought it was suspect that maintenance would be doing anything that late at night, so he called the front desk to ask if they sent someone to his room. The front desk allegedly gave him some bad advice telling him to open up the door and put him on the phone. Dude hung up with the front desk and called 9-1-1, because who ever was outside was starting to try and pry the door open and kick it in. I guess the cops showed up but never found the person....

I can't blame the people in that class... I would have checked out of there myself.

The good part is that from what my friend says the IFOD people dealt directly with the hotel and what ever money was already paid was refunded without question/penalty.

When was your friend in that class? Because I don't think I knew all that....I'd hope it was after my class..

Anyway....I was at the AA hq for a week and stayed just across the freeway...great hotel (most awesome donut shop on this Earth nearby as well). I also visited IFOD and the surronding area. I had a rental car so I drove all over and really checked it out as I was considering IFOD. If you have a car...then you are set. There are probably 25 hotels within 12 mi radius of IFOD.
Use Hotels.com or Hotwire..to find crazy deals. They both have map based search functions or filters so you can zero in on the exact area you want. When I was there most hotels were within $20 of each other. Some just had more stuff...like microwave etc.
Try AirBnB....That's what I did in Denver when I went to Jepp. It was nice to have a real home with full kitchen and laundry.
I would study with a group at their hotels and then drive 9 miles to the condo. WAAAAy cheaper than any hotel.

I stayed at the comfort inn. Its a little more than econolodge or days inn but the rooms are not bad, staff friendly, shuttle will take you many places you need: restaurants, ifod, airport etc. I think its about 50-55 a night. Breakfast is ok....scrambled eggs , cereal, waffles, coffee cake. It adds up over 5 weeks so most go for the cheaper option , but if you can swing it I would highly reccomend. Forgive my writing..its late and very tired:)

I stayed Comfort Inn too, my room was 25 ft away from Whattaburger so I was set, and since they moved out of the AA Training Center they are close to IFOD.

I stayed atbthe Econolodge. I have stayed at better places, but i had a kitchen to cook food in, space for study groups, place tonwash clothes and it was cheap. The front desk handled any issues i had immediately. I checked out early and was refunded for several days immediately. It's within walking distance of several restaurants and they're good about transporting IFOD students to some "off the map" spots if you work with the driver.

I know some people are uneasy with "lesser" accomodations, but it was more than good for the price. A break in can and will occur at nicer hotels, too. I had someone atgempt it once at the DTW Westin.

Still think the Donut shop trumps Whataburger...

There is a small "cafe" in the IFOD building...But since I decided to attend a different institution...I can't speak to the quality of the nash.
That's Nash...not Hash or mash or stash...Naaah-shhh. LIke wash. Looked handy tho in a pinch.

I stayed at the Amerisuites across the highway from the Super Walmart and the Whataburger. Got a room-mate the first day of class to split the room with and it was well worth it. Had a good study partner and someone to hang out with on weekends. This was back in '03 when they first moved to the AA center right after Wateska sold it.

Still think the Donut shop trumps Whataburger...

There is a small "cafe" in the IFOD building...But since I decided to attend a different institution...I can't speak to the quality of the nash.
That's Nash...not Hash or mash or stash...Naaah-shhh. LIke wash. Looked handy tho in a pinch.

The cafe in the IFOD building is well below mediocre. Now of course that didn't stop me from eating there all the time. Pro tip: there is a Chick-Fil-A and a Chiptole 5 minutes away.

I agree ken...I was only at the new location for a week of review but the food at the aa training center was 4 star compared to the new cafe:) if taking the 5 week course I would recommend a trip to walmart for lunch meat etc:)

I bought a microwave bacon cooker, and an omlet maker. Those worked very well. I brought a thermos with me and ganked coffee from the continental breakfast area along with peanut butter packets.

Whoah whoah whoah. One "Ganks" a six-fo Impala, or a minivan to ditch the po-po. But "ganking" a coffee filter pack? Have we sunk that low? :)
You can leave the east coast, but the east coast never leaves you unfortunately. For the record, it was an 81 caprice.

Back