If you commute on UAX Skywest...

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
Effective today, all UAX Skywest gate agents have been instructed to not allow any cabin jumpseaters on our flights due to issues with the UA contract. If you need to fly on UAX Skywest for the time being, you need to buy a United or Skywest ZED fare ticket, ID90, or if your domicile has customer service agents for your carrier, you may be able to get free tickets via station agreements if you talk to the station manager/admin office. Just a heads up.

Looks like there may be some change? We (XJT) just got an update from the union regarding some new form out there that breaks down UAX jumpseat boarding priorities..

I haven't heard of any. But this may has the potential to effect pilots too as when CASS is down or doesn't function properly for whatever reason, gate agents were told to issue Cabin Jumpseat forms and the jumpseating pilot could still sit in the back. As of right now if CASS fails, you're out of luck, already saw it happen once with a KeyLime guy, he had to go rent a car. I felt really bad for him but I'd be in big trouble if he got on.

I haven't heard of any. But this may has the potential to effect pilots too as when CASS is down or doesn't function properly for whatever reason, gate agents were told to issue Cabin Jumpseat forms and the jumpseating pilot could still sit in the back. As of right now if CASS fails, you're out of luck, already saw it happen once with a KeyLime guy, he had to go rent a car. I felt really bad for him but I'd be in big trouble if he got on.

Although I was not there and do not know the full circumstances (weight restrictions, no seats in back), I'm trying to understand why the Key Lime guy had to go rent a car. I was under the impression, at least with our training and manuals, that CASS only verifies flight deck admission. Since OO has a jumpseat agreement with Key Lime the pilot can sit in the cabin. Right? Again I was not there and I don't know all the circumstances but I'm trying to understand why you would be in trouble if he got on.

Negative. SOMETHING in the computer has to show for how the jumpseater was able to to hop on when the flight reaches the auditors. I know its not really fair and doesn't make much sense when I try to explain it, but if CASS isn't working right, then the person isn't being put on the flight electronically and their ability to occupy the cockpit jumpseat technically isn't verified(Again, just talking from the companies stand point). So now they would have to sit in the cabin with a paper ticket with their credentials on it for the crew to review. That paper is called a Cabin Jumpseat Authority form. Adding a jumpseater to the list in this manner will demand a paper ticket from the computer. Now here lies the problem, United took those papers away from us. Point being, despite the agreement, if CASS doesn't come thru, you're probably SOL on UAX for the time being unless the crew is willing to look the other way which I have yet to see.

I know its not fair, but I spent about 30 minutes with a supervisor and the Keylime dude trying to get him to Sacramento. This included 15 minutes on the phone with HDQ in SGU, and we couldn't find a single way to get him on without getting in trouble. The crew didn't want to risk doing anything that they weren't supposed to do either.

Negative. SOMETHING in the computer has to show for how the jumpseater was able to to hop on when the flight reaches the auditors. I know its not really fair and doesn't make much sense when I try to explain it, but if CASS isn't working right, then the person isn't being put on the flight electronically and their ability to occupy the cockpit jumpseat technically isn't verified(Again, just talking from the companies stand point). So now they would have to sit in the cabin with a paper ticket with their credentials on it for the crew to review. That paper is called a Cabin Jumpseat Authority form. Adding a jumpseater to the list in this manner will demand a paper ticket from the computer. Now here lies the problem, United took those papers away from us. Point being, despite the agreement, if CASS doesn't come thru, you're probably SOL on UAX for the time being unless the crew is willing to look the other way which I have yet to see.

I know its not fair, but I spent about 30 minutes with a supervisor and the Keylime dude trying to get him to Sacramento. This included 15 minutes on the phone with HDQ in SGU, and we couldn't find a single way to get him on without getting in trouble. The crew didn't want to risk doing anything that they weren't supposed to do either.

So was the situation the Key Lime pilot was trying to occupy the flight deck jumpseat because of no more seats in the back? Also, when you say "Cabin Jumpseat Authority form" are you talking about the 3 copy (white, yellow, pink) Sky West Airlines Jumpseat Authorization form? Why would United take those away from SkyWest...those are our company issued forms? If that is the case there should be a CS memo out letting everyone know about the cessation of using these forms.

I'm not discounting what you are saying but it just sounds different from what I've learned in training or read in memos. It always seems like the outstations are last to get the memo...lol.

Looks like there may be some change? We (XJT) just got an update from the union regarding some new form out there that breaks down UAX jumpseat boarding priorities..

That's separate from the issue Chasen is talking about--that specifically relates to flight attendants and the cabin jumpseat. I don't know what's going on with that.

The form you guys got is the UAX jumpseat priority form. It came about because UAL's software *always* prioritizes UAL pilots ahead of UAX, no matter what airline it is. This meant that even though, say, a RAH pilot has priority on RAH over mainline, the gate agents were saying the mainline guy had priority. This was really pissing UAX commuters off, so the form became the official UAX jumpseat priority method.

There were several changes in the form you guys probably got: first, you and ASA were on there, and I think both of you prioritize your own pilots first on UAX flights followed by UAL/UAX on time of check-in only. Mesa does this as well. ASA and Skywest put each other ahead of everyone off-line followed by UAL/UAX time of check-in. TSA and Gojet put UAL ahead of off-line UAX, which they did because they got UAL to prioritize them ahead of other UAX folks...which caused ASA to put TSA/Gojet behind other UAX (good for them). It's all extremely 4th grade schoolyard.

The best is RAH, though--they (obviously) put Frontier first, but then they now have UAX *ahead* of UAL, regardless of time of checkin. I guess UAL was trying to put them behind the rest of the UAX carriers and it backfired on them. It works for me because 90% of my commutes are on RAH and the majority of the commuters on this route are UAL guys.

So was the situation the Key Lime pilot was trying to occupy the flight deck jumpseat because of no more seats in the back? Also, when you say "Cabin Jumpseat Authority form" are you talking about the 3 copy (white, yellow, pink) Sky West Airlines Jumpseat Authorization form? Why would United take those away from SkyWest...those are our company issued forms? If that is the case there should be a CS memo out letting everyone know about the cessation of using these forms.

I'm not discounting what you are saying but it just sounds different from what I've learned in training or read in memos. It always seems like the outstations are last to get the memo...lol.
Yep, you got the right forms in mind, and I'm shocked you guys didn't get the memo since it is company wide. Then again, if anyone can get away with it, its you guys at the outstations. So if you haven't received any official word at your station, keep on doing it until you hear otherwise. And remember, even though the forms say "Skywest" on them, if they have to do with UAX flights United has the say over how we use them. The joys of working under contract.

Which is why I avoid UAL/UAX as much as possible.

That's separate from the issue Chasen is talking about--that specifically relates to flight attendants and the cabin jumpseat. I don't know what's going on with that.

The form you guys got is the UAX jumpseat priority form. It came about because UAL's software *always* prioritizes UAL pilots ahead of UAX, no matter what airline it is. This meant that even though, say, a RAH pilot has priority on RAH over mainline, the gate agents were saying the mainline guy had priority. This was really pissing UAX commuters off, so the form became the official UAX jumpseat priority method.

There were several changes in the form you guys probably got: first, you and ASA were on there, and I think both of you prioritize your own pilots first on UAX flights followed by UAL/UAX on time of check-in only. Mesa does this as well. ASA and Skywest put each other ahead of everyone off-line followed by UAL/UAX time of check-in. TSA and Gojet put UAL ahead of off-line UAX, which they did because they got UAL to prioritize them ahead of other UAX folks...which caused ASA to put TSA/Gojet behind other UAX (good for them). It's all extremely 4th grade schoolyard.

The best is RAH, though--they (obviously) put Frontier first, but then they now have UAX *ahead* of UAL, regardless of time of checkin. I guess UAL was trying to put them behind the rest of the UAX carriers and it backfired on them. It works for me because 90% of my commutes are on RAH and the majority of the commuters on this route are UAL guys.

Yep, you got the right forms in mind, and I'm shocked you guys didn't get the memo since it is company wide. Then again, if anyone can get away with it, its you guys at the outstations. So if you haven't received any official word at your station, keep on doing it until you hear otherwise. And remember, even though the forms say "Skywest" on them, if they have to do with UAX flights United has the say over how we use them. The joys of working under contract.

Well I don't know about the outstations getting away with everything. I can count many things you guys do at the hubs where I just shake my head in amazement. But that's another post that could go on forever...lol. Anyway, lets chat about this memo on skywestonline. Maybe you can point me in the right direction because the only memo i read was about the end of cabin jumpseat agreements for F/As ONLY and that nothing has changed for pilots.

Saw the FA issue pop up in LAX yesterday...an American FA went up to the counter and asked for a jumpeseat form on a Skywest Brasilia flight up to SBP I think...Agent told her she was SOL unless she had a ZED or the like.

Back