If Martha King wasn't so good looking.......

The only experience I've had with King material is the Cessna Flight Training System material. Yeah, John and Martha's jokes do get a bit old, but I'd take them over Rick Rockwell ( Who Want's To Marry A Millionare? ). He's creepy, in a goofy sort of way.

Rick_Rockwell__1.jpg

Please tell me he isn't in any of the other King videos.

I used King for my IFR, then tried out ASA for Commercial. Back to King to work on my CFI.

I've found that the jokes in the King courses are fewer and better than in their other videos. And their explanations are much better than the ASA testprep stuff- which was satisfactory, although unsatisfying as far as I'm concerned

Sporty's other videos are very well produced, although I've never seen any of their pilot course videos. Their "What You Should Know" & "So You Want to Fly..." series are great values. When I was doing my Multi Engine training, I got a lot of great information from the "So You Want to Fly Twins" video.

... used Kings for Inst. and Comm. Can't complain. John and Martha are part of the whole experience :D

I got to use them, the Jepp book plus formal ground school. If I had to do it over again, me thinks it would be nice to throw in the Sporty's stuff as well. Why not? But then again I just like the stuff and it's always good to see several different explanations of a topic. Especially when it comes to stuff that throws me for a loop (no pun intended ;-)

I agree. I saw the demos of the King course and it looked kinda boring. I am using the sporty's PPL kit to help me get my PPL, and it seems like it couldn't be better. I have gone through some of the sporty's instrument DVDs and they seem to be just as good.

Go with sporty's.

Glad you like them. :cwm27:

I find that most of my students enjoy the JEPP Inst + Commercial textbook as it is the easiest to understand.

The first place I instructed used the Kings. While effective, I found them pretty unprofessional. Instead explaining things logically they used a lot of memory tricks and jokes. Seemed to focus more on rote memorization than actually learning the stuff.

I'd go with Jep

The first place I instructed used the Kings. While effective, I found them pretty unprofessional. Instead explaining things logically they used a lot of memory tricks and jokes. Seemed to focus more on rote memorization than actually learning the stuff.

I'd go with Jep

A correct answer is a correct answer on the test. Whether you came about it by actually knowing the material and how to figure it out, or rote memorization from that silly joke you heard. Most people buy the DVD's to pass the test, not become Instrument Guru's and Professors. That comes after the test... ;)

I have the King Course for Commercial, but haven't watched it yet. However, I was impressed with Sporty's PPL course. I enjoyed it.

Sporty's all the way. Bought both the the Sporty's Private and IFR on my own dime and studied them, but my old flight school made us do the King courses during our training. Having done them both it seems like the King is more geared towards passing a written test while Sporty's is a bit more practical, interesting, and easy to swallow.

Both will help you pass your written, but Sporty's really held my interest and I actually looked forward to watching each DVD. King, not as much and I even liked some of his cheesy jokes.

A correct answer is a correct answer on the test. Whether you came about it by actually knowing the material and how to figure it out, or rote memorization from that silly joke you heard. Most people buy the DVD's to pass the test, not become Instrument Guru's and Professors. That comes after the test... ;)

I strongly disagree

I strongly disagree

As you have a right to. But you can't say these DVD's/Software, either made by King or Sporty's, are not geared specifically for you to pass the test. That's why people use them. They're not created to make you as knowledgeable and proficient in Instrument work as John King before you've even took your checkride or have had a a chance to put your I.R. rating to work or use.

However, on a different note. It would be more convenient, helpful, and possibly even safer if people understood the complete workings and "whys" of everything and not just being able to pick the correct answer on a multiple choice question.

If you do want to know the workings and "whys" then I would recommend just like many others have to read the Jepp/Gleim/FAA books and PTS. Learn the material, not the answer.

Again, either the King or Sporty's DVD's/Software will get you to pass the test.

If you learn the material rather than just memorize the answers, life will be a lot easier down the road.

That said, go ahead and ask me how many pounds to move from station B to station Q to get the CG to move .84% LEMAC....go ahead...I dare you. Don't hold your breath for an answer though. :p;)

-mini

Keep in mind that the King course guarantees you'll pass your written. The Sporty's course guarantees written, oral, and practical. I do work in Sporty's video so it's fair to say I'm biased. If you have any questions, let me know. You should be able to view samples on our courses page. I'm sending this from my phone, but I'll edit in a link later.

Ugh I just can't stand king videos. Teaching style is irrelevant. They just get on my nerves to much. It's like they are trying way to hard to be funny and that distracts from what they are trying to say.

Back