If I renew my first class medical using glasses is it an issue the next time around not using glasses

thehobbit

So I'm not able to see my regular doctor for my medical, but I have another doctor that I've used a few times before to renew my medical. My problem is that in the right eye I am borderline 20/20. The doctor I normally use, uses a Snellen chart for the visual acuity test and the doctor that I'm going to renew my medical with uses a box that I can't pass without glasses.

The Doctor with the box refers my to an optometrist and they give me an eye exam and sends me off with my readings which I give to the doctor to receive my medical.
Instead of seeing both the flight doctor and the optometrist, I'd just wear the glasses that I have to pass the box test.

My question is when I go to renew it again with my regular flight doctor and pass it without the glasses is the FAA going to take issue with the fact that I haven't seen a doctor to correct my eyes but one medical says I need to wear glasses and one doesn't?

I hate that dumb box thing. is the C facing up down left or right, machine fogs up in like 60 seconds too. I have another eye issue and just get the FAA Ophthalmological form field out and that covers the eye exam in the AME office.

I don't see the FAA having an issue with glasses on medical and none on another. Your vision naturally changes a bit throughout the day and if your eyes are dry or not. IMO you just had a bad day on the chart. If they do put in on your medical just make sure you use them while flying and have the second spare set n the bag in case you get a fed riding along.

I routinely go between glasses and no glasses, both on my FAA class 1 as well as my military physical. Last couple years I have been no glasses for both. Haven't been eating any more carrots. I think it is probably a function, for me, of not doing my physical/eye exam at early morning hours and making sure I'm hydrated.

Even with the glasses I had a hard time passing that box. I curious how they set the box up and if it's in a fixed position internally. The nurse who does the routine stuff like blood pressure, takes the thing off the floor and gives it a look to see if it's functioning, even thought she is pushing 60 and has glasses herself.

Hi thehobbit,

Sounds like this has already been answered, but the FAA will have no problem with it. One year you may have a certificate that says "must wear corrective lenses" and the next "no restrictions" if you can meet standards with no glasses.

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated AME
www.kansascityame.com

Back