Idontknow, FL.... Maybe???

aviatorrbt

Hey everyone. I understand this story may be nothing compared to what some of you are used to but this whole idea of 'layovers' is new to me.

Anyhoo, I was supposed to fly a Cirrus from Tampa, FL to Wisconsin today. I got at the airport at 0730 local for a 0900 departure. I preflighted (is there a past tense for this?) and called a briefer to get a briefing. He didn't say much except concerns for a few small convective areas that would blow over before I got there. As I am sure most of you know already, the wind speed today was outstanding (56 kts at 6000) - which I was slightly shocked about. The weather seemed fine so we (the other pilot and I) decided to takeoff. About an hour or so into the flight we decided to abort this whole plan since it wasn't really economical to fly in this wind (weather was getting worse too) so we landed at Tallahassee for lunch to see if it got any better after mid-day. It didn't. Here's the kicker... I have to be in Wisconsin tomorrow night for a grand family get together that I can't miss. So rather than pay $1500 for a ticket to get up there I had my buddy drive me to interstate 75 (hour and half east) to wait for another family member that is driving up to WI. But the member is not leaving until tonight so I am currently sitting outside a Holiday Inn where my friend dropped me off for the next six hours...

I am sure most of you have been through a lot worse but this is all new to me. But basically I am just bored out of my mind and wanted to tell someone my sorrows. :(

Back