Idle engine=dead engine on ground

Hey Traffic don't you have an interesting story about a problem with the Idle Fuel Mixture on a C-172 in flight? Something about the engine dying on short final? Maybe? :D

mmWhaa-Haa-hahahha !!

Patient: "Doctor, my arm hurts when I do this."

Doctor: "Then don't do that." (Ba-Domp-Domp)

:rotfl:Thats funny right there...

I remember well having idle problems before, and yes, it sucks to have a Rotax quit on a long final just because you pulled the power. But this should be checked by mechanics. May be fuel pressure, mixture...you say, they play. Fairly new plane, possible AD, no need to sweat it.

It's way better to have it happen before you takeoff (thats why this idle check is soooo cool) than to have it happen during a stall or shortly before touchdown. ;) I flew a 172XP with a composite prop, and that buddy was not windmilling much. Right out of a stall practice, the fan stopped. :banghead: Prior idle check was good, and it even restarted.

Hey Traffic don't you have an interesting story about a problem with the Idle Fuel Mixture on a C-172 in flight? Something about the engine dying on short final? Maybe? :D

Actually the engine died on downwind, the prop stopped short final, and I coasted to my parking spot... Bob Hoover would be proud? :nana2:

On further inspection the idle mixture screw had vibrated out of the carburetor at some point during the flight causing the idle to be really quite lean. That is how I know that the idle circuit takes over between 1300 and 1400 rpm ;). New idle mixture screw overnighted and I was on my way.

I should be mad at it, but it has a cupholder!

This happened to be every once in a while in recips when it was cold. My guess is the fuel is just not vaporizing readily at that temp, so when you pull the throttle back all the way there's nothing to burn. I would definitely talk it over with the mechanics, but this could just be one of those "know your airplane" deals. I used to fly a 182 that always had low temp and high pressure on the ground, but after a few minutes of flying it was fine.

Can any of our friends from up north chime in?
no problems up here, even when it is 0 to -10F like it was today. As long as the engine was in the green it ran good, but when it was cold, it didn't really want to run below 1000rpm.

hence why i asked the OP if the engine was warm yet, 0.2, probably not.

Not sure if this could be another idea but, at one big school there was an incident where the 172 R/SP (not sure exact type-but was fuel injected), engine died on short final when the power was brought to idle.

Mechanics said that at the base of throttle as you pull the knob out, there is something like an O-Ring that restricts throttle movement in the idle direction.
This ring was worn out, and when the guy pulled the power to idle....it went just alittle further back than normal when the throttle was pulled all the way back....led to the engine dying.

Possible thought/situation?
Maybe someone can better elaborate about this idea/part, its been many years since i heard the story.

Back